Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jass
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Wi-fi Opt out

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this, please.

A couple of weeks ago I requested via the 'My BT' web page that I be opted out of BT Wi-fi.  The confirmation told me that thia would be effective in 24 hours.

One week later I could see that my Smart Hub was still broadcasting as a Hotspot, so I sent an e-mail asking that my request to opt out be actioned.

In response I received a barely comprehensible telephone call from a lady who told me that "she would be helping me".

Now, another week later, and my Hub is still visible as a Hotspot.

So, two weeks after being told that this would take 24 hours, nothing has actually been done.

Can someone please help me break through the invisible barrier to action, and tell me how I can have my simple request dealt with, rather than just acknowledged and then ignored?

Thanks

Jass.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Jass
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Wi-fi Opt out

Can someone please help me with this . . . . have I committed a venial sin by asking not to be a Hotspot, which means not even Forum members are allowed to speak to me?

Can anyone help me to Opt out?  Is there anything I can do myself via the Smart Hub Manager.

Or is there any chance of a Moderator intervening, or advising me?

Jass.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi @Jass and thanks for posting.

Don't worry, you haven't committed any sins Smiley Wink. I'm sure we can help with this. Can you drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact he moderators link in my profile. We're busier than usual at present so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you send over your details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Join the club with this.

I have NEVER been opted in yet my SmartHub decided a few weeks ago to start broadcasting BT-Wifi & FON access points, and it was verified (not by me because I'm opted out and cannot connect to BT-WiFi) that it was active.

Checking on-line showed me as Opted out.

Tried opting in, waiting and then opting out but it wouldn't disable the SSID on the 'Smart'Hub

I DO NOT want to be a BT WiFi hotspot either. But BT seem unwilling or incapable of fixing this.

Perhaps if I start billing them for running an open-access WiFi network on my premises using my equipment without my permission....? Say £50 per month?

0 Ratings
Dave37
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

everytime i enter my bt email so i can opt out it tells me it is wrong. yet i am using it to get my emails

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 14

Maybe the email address you registered for access to myBT is not the same as your @bt email address.

I had things set up that way until recently.

0 Ratings
bingefeller
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

You're lucky you get the chance to opt out - I'm still having problems trying to get logged in as it's telling me I'm using the wrong email address and / or password.  Tried changing my password and using the only two emails that are known to BT and nothing works!

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

@bingefeller wrote:

You're lucky you get the chance to opt out - I'm still having problems trying to get logged in as it's telling me I'm using the wrong email address and / or password. 

@Remember, you may have set another email address (not something @btinternet.com) as the contact for your myBT account.

You may also have set up a different email; address for this forum.

I have done both of those.

0 Ratings
bingefeller
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

I only have two emails known to BT and tried them both and neither work. 😞
0 Ratings
syan123
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Same issue here, BT Wi-Fi is refusing to go off, no matter what.

I am using @btinternet email for everything broadband related. Starts to get a little frustrating because I have people using broadband I am paying for, which is NOT good with me.

I have been in touch with BT over chat and phone to no avail.

I am going to try a new thing, that is logging in on my hub with @btinternet email, see if that brings any success...