Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davehants
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Wi-fi hotspot - logon credentials

Go to solution
I have BT broadband at home and my family would like to use the wifi hotspots when out and about in town. I obviously do not want to share my own email id and bt account password with them. Can I set up an id and pw for each of them to use to logon to these hotspots? Any hints or tips appreciated. Rgds, Dave.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Wi-fi hotspot - logon credentials

Go to solution

No, only the account owners details will work, however if you use the app, then you can store the details within the app, and they will not be visible to the user.

davehants
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Many thanks for the quick reply Keith and the link to your site of links (I'd already been through all the BT help links before posting the question.) Wow, that's a MAJOR security flaw then. Not only am I giving away my PRIVATE EMAIL password, I'm also giving away my ACCOUNT password to logon to my BT billing account!!!!!! No wonder BT hasn't had much take up - only singleton persons would be using it, not family households. I need to give it to one of my family members to use internet on her phone when out and about. But I don't want to give her my email password, OR my BT account password. The person who designed that system must be short of a few brain cells. I think what I'll have to do is get another email id - one that I only use for this purpose, and then transfer my BT account to that new email id. But BT should really fix it so that access to the BT account pages can not be done using the same password as the openzone wifi password. Thanks again Keith for the swift response - I'll contact the head of security in BT for a change request. We'll see what happens. I'll post their response here. Rgds, Dave.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@davehants wrote:
Many thanks for the quick reply Keith and the link to your site of links (I'd already been through all the BT help links before posting the question.) Wow, that's a MAJOR security flaw then. Not only am I giving away my PRIVATE EMAIL password, I'm also giving away my ACCOUNT password to logon to my BT billing account!!!!!! No wonder BT hasn't had much take up - only singleton persons would be using it, not family households. I need to give it to one of my family members to use internet on her phone when out and about. But I don't want to give her my email password, OR my BT account password. The person who designed that system must be short of a few brain cells. I think what I'll have to do is get another email id - one that I only use for this purpose, and then transfer my BT account to that new email id. But BT should really fix it so that access to the BT account pages can not be done using the same password as the openzone wifi password. Thanks again Keith for the swift response - I'll contact the head of security in BT for a change request. We'll see what happens. I'll post their response here. Rgds, Dave.

I think you are slightly missing the point. It was never intended for all and sundry to use. It's not a security flaw, it's a deliberate means of restricting usage to the account holder.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

As licquorice has already pointed out, it is not a MAJOR security flaw the free BTWifi is only intended for the BT account holder.

This ensures that the security of the BTWifi is maintained. When you log onto BTWifi, BT know who you, the account holder is where you live etc and should anything illegal be done while on line using BTWifi, BT can pass on those details to the authorities if required.

If it was the case that anybody could log on with out any means of verifying who they are this could compromise the security of the system and allow it to used anonymously.

Having said that, if you as the account holder want to pass on your log on details to somebody that you trust, such as a family member, then that is entirely up to you but as I have said, should they do anything wrong while on line, the authorities will be coming to your door.

davehants
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the infos guys.  I hadn't picked up that the wifi was ONLY for the bill payer.  I read their advert and it said:

"We believe your broadband connection shouldn't stop when you leave home. We're the only UK broadband provider giving you free and unlimited wi-fi access, at more than 5m hotspots in the UK and over 7m abroad, as part of all of our broadband packages."

So I'm expecting this to apply to all the people in the home.

Especially since I don't need it to apply to me - I'm the bill payer, I go to work and then come home and pay the bills. I don't go out and about around town - but the rest of the family do. That's why they need it and I don't.

The advert nowhere mentioned that it ONLY applied to the bill payer.  When you say it was intended that way - have you seen them say that explicitly or do you have some inside information saying it was only intended for the bill payer?

I can't imaging what bozo at BT designed that concept. They have as much creative imaginiation and innovation as a gnat. No wonder they are always running at the very back of the pack. They really need to raise their bar and come into the 21st century.

I'll post the reply from the BT executive office to confirm if it was intended this way, or just badly conceived and designed.

Rgds, Dave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

It also does not say any where in the adverts that it can be used by all the people in the home.

This issue has been raised before and suggestions have been made that it should be made inclusive to the sub-accounts of the main account but BT have not taken the suggestion onboard.

Keep us posted how you get on if you get a reply from BT.

0 Ratings