Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fpine21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT WiFI

Hi

I have terrible trouble trying to connect to a "Hotspot" 

I have a iphone4 which connects to my home hub with no trouble in my house and also to all the free wifi places e.g. Tesco, John Lewis and Costa. But when I try to connect to a "HotSpot" I keep getting either network error or if it does connect it is so slow that its easier to turn the WiFi off and use the 3G signal.

I work in Cardiff city Centre about 500 metres from the BT Stadium House and when I search for a hot spot the screen is just full of them

What am I doing wrong?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT WiFI

Can you connect to the BTWiFi or BTWiFi-with-Fon SSID being broadcast by your own HH?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
fpine21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

if I try to connect through BTWiFi or BTWiFi-with-Fon via my HH I get "Network Error" on any iphone and the laptops will not conect to internet

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

Strange because any device should find your own hotspot and be able to connect to it, though you then have to log in to use the internet. Are the laptops Apples as well as the phone? If so you'll need to wait for someone else as I've no Mac experience. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
fpine21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

no laptops are a sony viao a samsung and a compaq

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 19

The procedure on a laptop should be click the wireless icon in the notification area > choose BTWiFi > click Connect (if "Connect automatically" is there uncheck it) > wait for a message that additional log-in info is required, which may take a little while > click the icon or open your browser and a landing page should appear.

Where does that procedure fail? 

--
0 Ratings
fpine21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

its not the connection in my home thats the problem its connecting to hotspots when I'm out of the house

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Assuming you are trying to connect to BT "Hotspots" and you are opted in to BT Fon the easiest way to connect on the Iphone is to use the BT Wifi App from the Itunes store. This link tells you about it and how to load it.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11014/~/how-do-i-connect-to-bt-wi-fi-with-an-iphone-,...

0 Ratings
fpine21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Been there ! Done that ! that's why I've come on here All I keep getting is network error when i try to connect to a Hotspot
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 19

@fpine21 wrote:

its not the connection in my home thats the problem its connecting to hotspots when I'm out of the house

Yes, but you said in message 3 that you couldn't connect at home either. If that's the case it should make it easier to find the problem.

--
0 Ratings