cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scunny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT WiFi App.

Can someone please help me to understand an App I have got today from the Google play store for WiFi access in the street (I have it at home)

This App loaded onto my Android phone ok and it said that certain permissions was required the first time I used the App to complete the download.

It said my phone was required and my location.  Fine but what happens now ? I tried all ways to get it to continue but it stayed like that.  I even uninstalled it and installed it again but no difference.

I understand if you have had a phone since 2009 there is no need for an App ?  I have had my phone swince 2010.

Can anyone advise me   Thanks   Scunny.

dg
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT WiFi App.

The app just stores your login details for connecting to BTWIFI rather than having to enter them every time you connect and open a browser. You will need to configure the app with your login details. The age of the phone is totally irrelevant.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

0 Ratings
scunny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

No. I said if anyone has had an BT a/c since before 2009 they have no need for a App.  Thats what BT says.I cant help it  

Scunny

dg
0 Ratings
scunny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I have got the App on my android phone. I thought that was it but when I clicked on it,it said more permissions was needed before set up could be completed.  Yes but what happens next ?  How can I give these permissions ? Whats the point of this App.  I am in distress       Scunny.

dg
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

If you read the information correctly it is about OPTING IN to BTWifi. If you have had BTWifi before 2009 you need to OPT IN to use BTWifi.

If you have joined BT since 2009 you do not need to opt into use BTWifi as you are already opted in.

You will need to either use the App to LOG ON to BTWifi or use a web browser to LOG ON to BTWifi regardless of when you joined BT.

The premissions that are need is that the App has to be able to access things on your phone, such as the wireless adaptor.

You just need to "accept" the permissions when setting it up and then enter your BTID and password into the App. This will then enter those details automatically if you decide to use a BTWifi hotspot.

Once you have done that, when you are out and about and come across a BTWifi hotspot you will be able to log onto it via the App and use the hotspot for free. 

If you do not want to use BTWifi hotspots you do not need the App.

0 Ratings
scunny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for this,but I thought the idea of the App was to save you logging in every time ?  Logging in is a pest. I have tried to down load this App but its only downloaded partly.I dont know what to do.

dg
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

That is the idea of the App but you need to enter your log on details into the App first so that it stores them for you and then it automatically enters them for you at a BTWifi hotspot.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@scunny wrote:

Thanks for this,but I thought the idea of the App was to save you logging in every time ?  Logging in is a pest. I have tried to down load this App but its only downloaded partly.I dont know what to do.

Where are you downloading the app from and what exactly do you mean by only 'downloaded partly'

0 Ratings