Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT-WiFi application - what's the point?

Hi,

The BT-WiFi application is great for automatically connecting to BT-WiFi points but being as the vast majority of connections are to BT-WiFi with FON what's the point? On a recent three day trip to London only one of my automatic BT-WiFi with FON Wi-Fi connections actually provided internet access.

I find that my mobile spends most of the day connected to a non-internet enabled Wifi connection thus receiving no emails or other data communications until I disconnect from a BT WiFi point or disable the BT app completely.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Sean

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT-WiFi application - what's the point?

BTWifi and BTWifi with Fon are ona and the same. Have a read through these links

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10992/~/what-is-bt-wi-fi-with-fon%3F

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/login-with-bt/

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/common-questions/

As regards the BTWifi not providing Internet. As most of the BTWifi hotspots are supplied by BT customers private Homehubs it is often the case that the hotspot does not work because the Homehub needs to be re-started. BT have no control over this so unless the owner of the hotspot a)knows that it is not working and b) does a re-start, there is nothing that can be done.

Personally I have set the BTWifi app not to connect automatically and as a result it only connects to the hotsposts when I choose. This allows the 3g/4g connection to still work and receive emails etc.

By doing this obviously stops the "connect automatically" funtion of the app but because the my on details are saved in the app it does save me having to enter my log on details every time I do want to use it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

So is there a way of adding an option\configuration item to check for internet connectivity and, if the internet is inaccessible, disconnect and forget the network?

Cheers,

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Hi,

I have an open case because BT WiFi (IOS) has never worked for my non-btinternet.com BT ID. This morning I received an update that a new version of BT WiFi (IOS) will be rolled out in the next 3 days to test.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@spbond wrote:

Hi,

So is there a way of adding an option\configuration item to check for internet connectivity and, if the internet is inaccessible, disconnect and forget the network?

Cheers,

Sean

No.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

BT Wifi app and BT FON

I've posted before about this but I'm at a loss why BT continue to provide a WiFi service where my mobile phone continually connects to BT WiFi points WHICH DON'T ALLOW INTERNET ACCESS.

Wherever I go I hear my mobile connecting to a BT WiFi FON\BT Hub\BT X point and I can safely say that 95% of these automatic connections provide no internet.

My previous Sky WiFi service connected me to hotspots that provided reliable internet connectivity.

Please do something about this as the service is appalling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Re: BT Wifi app and BT FON

It has already been explined to you why this may happen so the simple answer is uninstall the app!

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Re: BT Wifi app and BT FON

Can you connect to the BTWIFI/FON network from your own hub. For me that is easy starting point and once you can get that working then I find it connects with access when out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings