Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DavidFloyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT WiFi for Galaxy Ace (Android 2.3.6) not working

Go to solution

For over a year now BT Wifi App has been working on my Galaxy Ace, but I have recently had need to reset the phone after a memory card failure.

Now I'm invited to download the BT WiFi App when I log on to BTFon but the App is now for Android 4 or higher.  Is the version for Android 2.3.6 still available or has BT discarded customers with older phones?

David

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT WiFi for Galaxy Ace (Android 2.3.6) not working

Go to solution

Have you tried downloading it from the Google Play store. You will probably find that the current app supports the older phones.

0 Ratings
DavidFloyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Yes,

YOu can only download from Google Play if your phone is rgistered and under INSTALL it states ' X This app is incompatible with your device.'

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

If you have a working older version of the app, on another device, then you could backup the app using ES File Explorer, then copy it to your phone.

Then if you allow 3rd party apps on your Galaxy, you should be able to install the older version of the .apk install file.

I have a backup of version 4.2.3.

I had a similar issue with SmartTalk, when that was upgraded. Luckily I still had a copy of the old .apk file.

DavidFloyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Many thanks for this help.

I've remembered that it is on my wife's phone but had forgotten because she does not use it.

Now I've installed ES File Explorer on her phone and backed up the .apk file onto a backup directory on the SD Card.

Sorry to be a bit 'green' on this, but how do I copy it to my phone and where do I copy it to.  At the moment I have copied the .apk file onto my PC.

Do I remove the SD card from her phone and then put it in mine - and then what do I do?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

If you install ES file explorer on your phone, there is a remote access facility which allows you to connect your PC, to the phone, and transfer the file to your SD card. I think it works both ways, but I am not sure.

You can then select the .apk file via ES file Explorer, then provided you have allowed 3rd party apps to install, then the application will be installed on the phone.

The other option is to connect your phone to your PC using USB, then copy the .apk file directly to your phones SD card, then install it as shown above.

Once its installed, remember to disable 3rd party installs again.

You could try moving the SD card, but there is a danger that any apps she has running on the SD card, may get corrupted.

DavidFloyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your help. Whilst I am very conversant with Windows and Linux operating systems, Android is new to me and this has set me on the road to understanding it better.

Thanks again.
David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I assume that you managed to get it to work?

Its always worth keeping backup copies of .apk files, just in case you have a similar issue in future Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
dolphin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi David

Sadly I've lost my apk.  Any chance you might kindly make yours available - somehow - please?  Can''t find it anywhere else for download.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

As this thread is nearly 2 years old, you may not get a reply.

0 Ratings