cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

BT WiFi intermittent

I have posted about this before but did not get many replies or find others that had the same problem so will try again.

Bt WiFi is enabled on my HH5 (b) but it stops working after a few days. If I reboot the router it works again for a few days but then stops once more.

Windows phone with the BT app. works and so does iPad2 with BTWiFi X. Old lapttop works with BT WiFi with FON.

This is very useful when friends visit because it stops them eating into my allowance.

However nothing will connect again after a few days, Laptop says "connected but with no internet access".

Can anyone throw any light on this, it should not be necessary to keep having to reboot just to get this "free" service working.

Never a good thing to keep rebooting router at ant time!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT WiFi intermittent

Sorry to hear your Wi fi is still intermittent Colly-FC.

Mine is still working after it was enabled on 3/7, not that it is any consolation to you, I hope yours can be sorted.

How long have you had the HH5b

0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

About four months.
It rebooted itself yesterday evening, no idea why so now WiFi will again work for a few days.
Very strange!
0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

I am surprised that others here do not seem to have the same problem that I experience.

Once again,wishing to allow my Son who was visiting,to use BT Fon Or BT WiFiX, I found that router will not allow anything to connect.

Testing with my 'phone or iPad gives the same result.

Why should a reboot of the router then give access for a few days and then lock everything out again.

BT make a big thing about this "free" service but I should not have to reboot the router to make it work each time.

He can, of course, use my normal router access but I am trying to save my monthly allowance!

I wonder if this will cease to be free just like the sports app on iPad has. Both of which were reasons to change to BT in the first place.

0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

I have tracked down the answer!

Though BT make much ot the "free WiFi" when out and about, and as we know most of this is provided by customers routers, what they fail to explain is that any given router will only give so many free minutes.

I believe it is 10000 minutes and when this is used up you can no longer connect even though your device, phone or laptop can still "see" a router there will be no internet traffic allowed.

A reboot of the router then starts the process again.

This would explain why when away from home you may find a connection that works, but a day or so later it no longer does.

If that router is not rebooted by the owner or remotely by BT then you will not get a working connection.

Try it at home and see for yourself!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Could you say where you got that information about the Homehub needing to be rebooted after 10,000 minutes because I think you are mistaken.

The 10,000 minutes is part of the fair usage policy for users in any given month it is not for individual hubs.

See link

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/fair-use-policy.jsp

For information, BT will not reboot anybodys Homehub to get BTWifi working.

0 Ratings
Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Thank you for your interest, I had given up on any suggestions from this forum and so reluctantly used the phone to call overseas!

My information came from a very helpful man who I spoke to on the BTWiFi help line.

I can assure you that my HH5 (b) only allows connection for about three days, I have not checked it exactly and only do this if I have friends or family staying. As I have said before this is to stop them eating my allowance!

You must be aware of threads on this forum where people have stated that their routers regularly reboot every two weeks or so. My router has done this for no reason but only once or twice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@Colly-FC wrote:

Thank you for your interest, I had given up on any suggestions from this forum and so reluctantly used the phone to call overseas!

My information came from a very helpful man who I spoke to on the BTWiFi help line.

I can assure you that my HH5 (b) only allows connection for about three days, I have not checked it exactly and only do this if I have friends or family staying. As I have said before this is to stop them eating my allowance!

You must be aware of threads on this forum where people have stated that their routers regularly reboot every two weeks or so. My router has done this for no reason but only once or twice.

Unless BT have made major changes to BTWifi-Fon, your router is not being re-booted so that you can continue to use BTWifi-Fon. There are many people on this forum whose Homehub has not rebooted for many months.

As you can see in the link, it is the user that is restricted to 10,000 minutes not the Homehub. 

If your Homehub was re-booting to "reset" BTWifi-Fon because you had reached 10,000 minutes, which equates to about 166 hours or 7 days of use it would not need to be rebooted after 3 days. 

There are many reasons why a Homehub may re-boot such as it may be that you have a problem with your Homehub, it was being updated or as some users have found, that there Homehub does reboot on a regular cycle but as far as I can recall that has nothing to do with "resetting" BTWifi-Fon.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

If you think it through, what is the point of having a limit that can be simply overridden by a reboot?

Colly-FC
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

I did not say that my router was being rebooted by BT. I said that it had only done this once or twice,(since March). What I did say was that I had to reboot it after a few days if I wanted BTWiFi to work. In all other aspects the router is faultless.

I am also not suggesting that anyone in my home is using that number of minutes but correct me if I am wrong, any BT customer could be connected to my router if they were near by. Is there a way to check this?

I am only quoting what I was told by BT help via 'phone line and the fact remains that a reboot of my router will then enable BTWiFi to work for a while once more.
0 Ratings