cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
86rickard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT WiFi status active on Home Hub. Can't turn off???

I logged into BTWiFi whilst out today as I needed connection and came home to find my HomeHub6 is broadcasting Fin and WiFi etc.

The link page was useless and said my username want recognised so I had to log into MyBT... I disabled BTWiFi but the hub still shows it active. Even after factory reset.

How long does it take?? Im above a public house and really really don't want my barely 8mbps internet sapped .!!!!
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT WiFi status active on Home Hub. Can't turn off???

To turn it off on the Smarthub you need to opt out of BTWifi. If you Opt out of BTWifi you can not use it when out and about. It can take weeks to turn off.

For information, your private network's bandwidth gets priority over BTWifi so if you need it you get it. It will not be taken up by people logging onto BTWifi.

0 Ratings
86rickard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Weeks!!! So Im off WiFi straight away but every one else can use my connection until it decides !!?? That's not good enough. I want my hub to stop broadcasting. Last night it was obvious as I got multiple slow downs on Netflix since this has been enabled.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

The BTWifi signal will have been broadcasting since the day you first switched on your Homehub so it will not just have activated with you having used it recently.

I doubt it is the BTWifi that is causing your Netflix problem. As I said, if you need the band width you get it even if that means there is none left for BTWifi.

Have you personally opted out of BTWifi. It will not be turned off on your Homehub until you do.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

0 Ratings
86rickard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

The WiFi thing came on the day I logged in whilst out needing WiFi on my phone .. I can't log into the fin page as it says my details are incorrect. Both BT email (I set up) and BT account.

The only way I have tried to opt out is in MyBT under BTWiFi but it still shows.

Must admit this is yet another annoyance in my already troubled history with BT. I thought TalkTalk was bad but now I'm regretting the move 😞

If it's not gone within the next 24hrs it's the call centre. I didn't have any issues until this BT WiFi service activated in my HOme Hub.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

It can take up to 28 days after opting out for your hub fon signal to stop do remember if you opt out you will not be able to use BT Wi-Fi when out and about
0 Ratings
mandy2016
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

I agree, I was surprized to see my wifi status has been turned on and no off switch. What a complete shambles. Didn't know all this was in the contract. Now I have to go thru all this trouble to 'OP' out why tamper with someone's HUB in the first place. Very dis-respectful of BT.

Up until now I was happy with my package.

Total shambles & let down by BT

0 Ratings
longshot
Message 8 of 10

home hub 6...

I have the same problem BTwifi set to active on the home hub after an update, i have not activated this on my extras so it should be off...

but here is the other nasty suprise, as soon as it set to active after an update it kicked of other devices that are conected via the home hub wifi... and they struggle to conect at all after that

at the same time, all the PCs conected to the home hub via RJ45 cables start to have problems conecting until i give them a static IP...

this is not quite what I expected from any router least of all one that is advertised to be one of the very best for wifi...LOL

longshot

0 Ratings
86rickard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

So what are BT going to do about it????? This is not what I want and not as stated in the terms... If I opt out of BTwifi I opt out of the broadcast from my hub!!!!!!!!! Very angry and India call centre is useless ... Again !
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

You are opted in as part of your contract you can opt out of the service but you will lose access to BT Wi-Fi when out and about also you have priority over the connection no one can access your hot spot if you are maxing out the connection

If you do opt out it can take up to 28 days for the service to close down

All BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity customers who have joined since March 2009 will already be members of BT Wi-fi unless they have opted out.
0 Ratings