cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlebeHouse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT WiFi with Fon speed clamp.

I regularly use BT Wifi with Fon service when away from home.

I use my BT login and have obtained good upload and download speeds (tested, not really used, just email) from HomeHub type BT hotspots, usually 10+ MBPS up & down, occasionally less, which I assumed was when the BT customer needed the bandwidth. I was surprised because I expected no more rhan 3mbps from ADSL2 HomeHub and 0.5 mbps from ADSL.

But lately I've noticed that my access to all the local HomeHub hotspots is clamped at 0.5 mbps, ALL the time.

I think these Hotspots are ADSL2 Homehubs which I understood should give up to 3mbps if the user/owner is not busy.

QUESTION: does anyone know the correct policy and why it has gone from 10+ to 0.5 mbps?

Also, is there a way to check if I'm linking to adsl or adsl2 home hub?

Thanks
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT WiFi with Fon speed clamp.

I suspect BT have cottoned on that people are using their own WiFi with Fon service to avoid exceeding their data cap and have restricted the speed. For email and general browsing 0.5Mbs is quite sufficient.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

just checked some local BT WiFi site near me all speeds are as normal no sign of the OP's problem if they are all hub 2's it may be related to known hub 2 problems
http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/hh2/hh2_issues.html
0 Ratings
GlebeHouse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Thanks for the replies and for moving this post to the right home.

"For email and general browsing 0.5Mbs is quite sufficient.", err I find it isn't really, unless you are a snail or never use big attachments or data-heavy websites.

So now I'm wondering ...
1)how I can tell what kind of hub/service (adsl/adsl2/FTTC) I am plugged into, and ..

2) whether BT has capped it, and who I contact to say "hey, I'm a legit BT+fon user away from home and you claim up to 3 mbps when connected to adsl2 or above, please can you allow me that access?"

Any suggestions?
0 Ratings
GlebeHouse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Snail example:

It takes 10 sec to open this page!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

As far as I am aware you can not tell what type of connection you are using. This would probably require giving out too much information about the Homehub you are connected to and possibly compromise the owners identity/security.

The BTWifi help line is 0800 022 33 22 but I suspect they will be of no help in this instance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

0 Ratings
GlebeHouse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

You were correct.

A polite gentleman said "no speed guarantee - can't help".
0 Ratings
GlebeHouse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Thanks.

Yes, that is my understanding.

I'd be very happy with up to 3 mbps during quiet times and/or when the local user is not using the bandwidth.

I'm not going to run data intensive on it, I just want email and websites which open at a decent speed.

Now just give me a minute while this loads ...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

@GlebeHouse wrote:
Thanks for the replies and for moving this post to the right home.

"For email and general browsing 0.5Mbs is quite sufficient.", err I find it isn't really, unless you are a snail or never use big attachments or data-heavy websites.

I guess I'm only just getting used to the luxury of high speed, it was a case of having to be sufficient until we were fibre enabled last December. 0.5Mbs was the maximum speed I could achieve!! :smileywink:

0 Ratings