cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Wifi App not recognising logon while My BT App does recognise it

Hi

A bit of context here, over lockdown I've been helping two sets of elderly relatives (ER) get up and running on tech they haven't used before so they can feel less isolated. Overall its' been very successful indeed and this forum has been extremely helpful in helping me acheive that.

In this particular case I have given one ER my old iPhone 6 plus, which she's really enjoying. She uses it as a PAYG phone and doesn't want to spend a lot of money on data. She's a BT broadband customer and so I said that I'd set her up with the BT Wifi App on the phone and install the BT certificate so she would automatically connect to BT hotspots and get notifications of that connection on her phone.

I've done this on my phone so i'm pretty comfortable  with what I have to do.

I've downloaded the BT Wifi app onto her phone and tried to sign in but the app doesn't recognise her. I didn't think there was a dependency on the My BT app but just in case I have downloaded that and can get into that successfully with the same details. I've then retried on the BT Wifi App and the app now says something like there's something blocking my logon and I need to check the MyBT app, when I do there's nothing there.

Am I missing something here, do all BT broadband packages come with BT hotspot access? Surely she should be able to logonto the BT Wifi app regardless shouldn't she?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Wifi App not recognising logon while My BT App does recognise it

Did you check the the BT hub shows BTWIFI active and ER has not opted out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi imjollly - Thanks for your reply.
I have no idea where the setting for that is and I'm positive ER also doesn't know where that is, so if BTWIFI is active by default then it won't have been changed.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Can you tell me how I toggle BTWIFI on/off can't see a switch on MyBT or on the hub setup.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi @DazedandConfused100, you can check the BT Wifi status on the MyBT website.  

1. Log into My BT >
  2. Choose Your package and then Inclusive extras
  3. Scroll down to BT Wi-fi and click on Manage BT Wifi
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I'm sorry if I'm sounding really dense here but is it possible that the format of MyBT has changed?

I'm going into my own MyBT first so I can help ER navigate around the site.

There doesn't seem to be a MyBT>Your Package navigation available to me.

The closest I get is: Your Products>Broadband

From that page the 'Manage' button doesn't give me anything but there is an option on the Your Products>Broadband page which is Included in your product>BT WIFI.

By going in there it does ask for clarification that you're the account holder. Does this process  opt the account holder into BTWIFI and therefore allow them to sign onto the BT WIFI app? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @DazedandConfused100 I'm sorry if those instructions we're not 100% accurate I copied them from the BT.com help section which may be out of date.  You have found the correct option though and confirming you're the account holder and signing in with the primary BT ID will then allow you to opt-out or into the BT Wifi service. Let me know how you get on?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Great - will do, i'll get back you.

0 Ratings