Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clowny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 35

BT Wifi/Fon keeps reactivating

Good morning all,

Noticed a gremlin the other day and have only just gotten around to posting. 

The BTWifi/Fon networks on my Hub6 (?) keep reactivating. It's not something I use, nor ever use and I opted out many years ago. When I received my new hub they were on again and once again I opted out for it to take weeks before the networks went off.

Now, they've recently reappeared again and once again I've been online to opt out, even though my status is already opted out and now I have to wait until they switch off. It looks like the firmware updated on the 23rd which would be about the same time they reappeared.

Is there any official response or reason why they keep reappearing, it's not a service I want to use nor broadcast and I find it frustrating they keep switching back on. Now I again have to wait the 72 hours or however long it is, until they finally disappear until the next firmware update maybe? I've opted out, I don't want them broadcasting as it causes connection issues and I'd like some BT person to take notice?

Cheers

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
am_I_dead_yet
Beginner
Message 2 of 35

Re: BT Wifi/Fon keeps reactivating

I've had the same issue yet again. Periodically FON/BT Wifi switches back on. This time it may be related to a firmware update that was auto installed on 23/12/16. This is at least the 10th time I have had to request de activation/opt out.

Yet again I couldn't log in to check my status and opt out so I called BT who told me I had already opted out yet I can see BT Wifi is actibve on the router and I can see the wifi network with a wifi scanner.

BT needs to allow users to turn this off at the router instead of fiddling around with a separate login and waiting 48 or more hours.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 35

BT Wi-Fi is part of your terms and conditions http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/value-added-service.html#WiFi it is activated automatically and you have the option to Opt out of the service
0 Ratings
Clowny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 35

John as clearly mentioned both of us above we have both opted out and in my case, numerous times, only to keep having it enable every firmware update.

So, is it possible to either change the system so the settings stick, or allow us to it on on the modern itself as I'm still waiting over three days now for them to turn off.

Please read the posts before trying to help?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 35

I was simply explaining that it is part of your contract if you wish to opt out then it is down to you to opt out BT will not change the system it has been asked before
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 35

Your other choice is to use a third party router personally I see no problem with BT Wi-Fi it can be a very useful service
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 35

This is a customer to customer forum posts made here don't not go to BT
0 Ratings
Clowny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 35

Once again John, you're not really helping. You personal opinion on the usefulness of BT wi-fi isn't what we are asking for.

We have both opted out, it's not a service that either of us require not find useful as you do, we are also not asking to change the system as you put it.

What we both would like and I'm assuming that we can't be alone in this problem, is for the opted out to stick. There is obviously a system issue when it reactivates again and again even though my settings clearly say I'm opted out. Also experienced by my fellow unhappy customer above.

Every firmware update it comes back on in direct contravention of our personal choices that we pay for and select, just a simple fix is what we need. By not pointing out those problem how are we ever going to get it corrected, that's what these forums are for - to contact Support and get support. Telling me to use another router is not helping either, I paid for my router which is perfectly fine, what isn't is the BT wi-fi system that's in place.

There's a fault, we are raising it to try and get it noticed and dealt with.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 35

The referenceto third pparty routers does not include BT home hubs there is no fault the hub is defaulting as it isdesigned to do BT Wi-Fi is part of your contract since 2009
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Clowny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 35

Oh John, John, John

We have both opted out as per the contract choices and yet it keeps appearing time and time again, then there is the hassle to then re-opt out all over again. Do you understand that, that we've opted out, opted out John in case you misunderstood again.

Could you please refrain from any more posts, I'd like to get the attention of someone who might be useful?