Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BT Wifi Hotspot

Go to solution

Hi, Stupidwoman here again

I have a BT Broadband account and log in to BT using my BT ID and password

I have a phone that connects to my home broadband no problem, and I also have a BT Hotspot that shows up on the connections list

The other day I needed to contact Green Flag in a hurry, I was at home but the app wouldn't open, the phone had lost my router

I got Green Flag sorted from my landline, and reset the network on the phone so my router showed up, then thought I'd better get set up to use the hotspot in case the phone lost the router again

Only when I try to log in to BT Wifi on the phone, with the same username and password I use on this computer, it refuses to accept them and I know they are ok because I am logged in to MY BT right now

Very frustrating when you have a broadband account and a phone and have to use your landline to get your car rescue service to come out

At the same time I'm writing this I am on a chat session with BT support who just keep telling me I can use my own router when I'm at home, and the hotspot when I'm away from home, and to opt-in when I haven't opted out

if only ... I've always been able to connect this computer to the BT hotspot so why won't the phone connect?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Wifi Hotspot

Go to solution

I believe a read of this BT help will reveal the intricacies of those HotSpots which are intended to provide access to the net when you are on the move.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-bt-wi-fi-and-how-do-i-get-it- 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

well thanks for that, funny that BT support don't know there's a BT Wifi app

I'd assumed because the phone could see the hotspot and invited me to log in that I'd be able to do it, however 

I've installed the app and still getting the 'unable to log in' message, 'the saved log in details may be incorrect'

no, they aren't, I've just logged out of My BT on this computer and logged back in again with the usual credentials, this computer recognises them and the phone doesn't

BT support say the 'issue is with the phone', do you think they are right?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

The login requirements for BTwifi defy all logic! If your email was originally with BTYahoo, it is your primary email address and password needed to login to BTwifi. If you have changed your password at some point, it might be worth trying the old password as BT seem to have problems sychronising passwords across platforms.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

ah, now that's interesting!  it was a BT Yahoo account, I've had it for years and years, and for some reason my BT ID is not my email address

I have 2 sets of login criteria with separate passwords, one for My BT (BT ID and Password (a)) and one for BT E-mail (Btinternet mail address and Password (b))

I've tried both, my BT ID credentials are rejected and my BT email credentials produced an 'Unknown problem' banner then the same 'unable to log in' and 'saved log in details may be incorrect'

perhaps I am not Stupidwoman after all if others have had difficulty!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Hi, please can I ask another question Licquorice? I have just logged into BT wifi on this computer, I have to use my email login credentials and not my BT ID but it's working fine, I am sending this message via BT wifi and not via my home hub. Does that give any clues as to where the problem is with the phone not accepting the login credentials?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall the BTwifi app on your phone and then re-install it and see if that fixes it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
Ok, thanks, sorry if this is another stupid question but ... when I look at the network connections list and I see my home hub, I just choose that and it connects. As I can see BT Wifi on the list, why can't I just choose that direct from the list, why do I need an app? I am a Windows person and not bad at troubleshooting computers, I can connect my Windows tablet to wifi anywhere in the world without difficulty but I know nothing at all about Android.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

You don't actually need the app, it just automates the login process.

When you select BT wifi as the network, it brings up a login page, select 'already a customer' and then in the account drop down list ensure you select BT Broadband rather than the default BTwifi before entering credentials.

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
aaahhhhh! yes, the page is exactly as I get on this computer and it works! I wonder when I tried it before if I did leave the account ast the default BTwifi? perhaps I did because it's now worked. I've taken the app off and I won't bother with it. Now why is it I wasted half an hour in online chat with BT support and they couldn't work it out, saying it's a phone issue? Five gold stars Licquorice, thank you.
0 Ratings