cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jabberminor
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Wifi (and with FON) was once absolutely fine, but now has very poor signal.

My current accommodation has a BT line nearby (that isn't owned by the accommodation) and when I moved in a few months ago, the connection was absolutely fine. It would always stay connected to my two laptops, and it was a very good speed (for example, I could watch a 720p Youtube video without having to wait for a while for it to load).

Over the past few weeks, the internet signal suddenly dropped. I now get 'very low' signal and I can usually disconnect every 15 minutes. I've disconnected twice already writing this message. I have not changed any settings on my laptops, and other people in the area have noticed the drop too.

I am paying £15 a month for an internet connection that was once great, but is now very poor. I would really appreciate something to be done about it.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Wifi (and with FON) was once absolutely fine, but now has very poor signal.

There is nothing you can do about privately owned hotspots. If its coming from a BT Home Hub, then its possible the owner has relocated it within their house.

Sometimes moving your laptop to a different part of the room can help.

Is it a commercial BTOpenzone hotspot that you are connected to?

0 Ratings
jabberminor
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: BT Wifi (and with FON) was once absolutely fine, but now has very poor signal.

How do I find out whether it was a commercial one or a home-hub?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Commercial ones have the SSID of BTOpenzone, nothing else.

0 Ratings
jabberminor
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Ah, I guess it was a homehub then that's now been moved.

My accommodation is getting their own internet put in in a couple weeks time. I only found out about this a month after I paid for the 18 month contract.

I assume I can't cancel the contract?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@jabberminor wrote:

I assume I can't cancel the contract?

I doubt it, but you could always ask.

0 Ratings
jabberminor
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I will try, because my reasoning is that I can hardly get internet and so what's the point of paying for pretty much no internet. I've disconnected already just trying to write that. And I'm getting a lot of authorization errors despite not changing my username and password.

0 Ratings
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

To whom are you paying £15 per month and for what? If your landlord then you should be able to get a refund.

0 Ratings