Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dfl1955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Wifi - auto login with Windows 10 and a local account

I understand from a different thread, that the BT Wifi App is not available to Windows users other than through the Windows Store, which requires one to use a microsoft clound login. I cannot/choose not to use this authentication mechanism.

Has anyone written a BT WIFI login script in twill or python or anything to perfrom the BT network login and emulate some of the functionality of the unavaialble app.

Dave

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Wifi - auto login with Windows 10 and a local account

Why do you need to use an app? Just open a browser and login, all the app does is automate the process.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 9

@licquorice wrote:

Why do you need to use an app? Just open a browser and login, all the app does is automate the process.

........And even if you do need to download a free application from Windows Store (Windows 10), you don't need to create an account.......It's all bluff!

0 Ratings
dfl1955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

It asks me for a windows login credentials.

How do I use the store without logging into my Microsoft account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Just don't bother with the app then!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 9

@dfl1955 wrote:

I agree with Liquorice,

However, I'll log out of One Drive and go through a "free " purchase, and report back.

I did recently do a real purchase while logged in, but it still wanted my login details. Somehow I managed to override this.

The rules change to suit.

Seems to be a muddle, or bluff.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 9

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@dfl1955 wrote:

I agree with Liquorice,

However, I'll log out of One Drive and go through a "free " purchase, and report back.

I did recently do a real purchase while logged in, but it still wanted my login details. Somehow I managed to override this.

The rules change to suit.

Seems to be a muddle, or bluff.

Yes, it seems that you do have to create an account.

If you don't want to make a purchase, e.g a free Chess program, then you don't give any payment method or details.

If you do have a Microsoft Cloud program, (which you say that you don't want, and have not got) i.e. One Drive, as used in MS Office 2010, Office 365, then you can sign out of these after use. It's similar to BT Cloud in that respect. They try to persuade you not to sign out.

Again: The MS store account will not ask for any payment details. It's just so that they have a record of what you have downloaded.

Back to your original question: You don't need the BT Wifi App, as Liquorice says.

0 Ratings
dfl1955
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Riibblelancs

Thanks for your efforts.

I have an O356 account and the associated (* for business) services. This as far as I can see, will not permit me to use the 'store. The computer is not mine, it's my employer's and neither they, nor I am keen to use my MS account (I do have one!) to connect to MS services as no-one outside microsoft knows what data they slurp and copy between the devices connected.

I understand what you and licquorice say about not needing the app, but

1. I have been working with the browser for a year now having to use the wifi authentication screen two or three times/dayand I am fed up
  2. I am not connected to the network during the login and so my network attached auto start apps (mainly chat apps) faiil until I have authenticaed with BT Wifi

So back to the original question,

Has anyone automated a BT Wifi network login on a w10 platform?

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 9

I went through these things when I was working.....a long time ago.

Suggest you contact BT business support, either yourself or through you employer, if not self employed.

Have found Windows 10 to be reasonably reliable, and secure, so far.....!

0 Ratings