Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sparksterx
Message 1 of 4

BT Wifi with FON signal lost

Go to solution

Hi all, forgive me if this has already been answered.  I have a BT home hub 3 and am opted in with bt wifi with fon. It has been working fine since I started, however the last few days, the signal has just disappeared from my home.  I don't always have the modem on, and sometimes if I want to quickly search for something online on my phone, I would just get connected to wifi with fon straight away, however the last few days this no longer works.

If I have the modem on, wifi with fon shows up and I can connect. It's just when I turn it off, so too does the fon which is both strange and annoying as it has never done that before. I have tried a hard reset on the hub, reinstalled the wifi app and have also opted out and opted straight back in. I am aware that apparantely it takes a couple of days to 'reactivate', yet also noticed some people saying they had waited months and still nothing.

I also noticed when I first went to opt out, it showed 0 zero, but when I opted in, it then showed "unlimited". However when I left and checked the status again, it then showed 0 again [which I have no idea what that is]

screen2.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Wifi with FON signal lost

Go to solution

Presumably when you mention the modem you are referring to the Homehub. If that is the case you should just leave the Homehub switched on 24/7 for best results.

You must have your Homehub turned on for the BTWifi - Fon signal to be transmitted. If you have been able to connect to BTWifi-Fon with your Homehub turned off you have probably been connecting to a neighbours BTWifi signal. It may be that the neighbour's Homehub is now no longer transmitting for any number of reasons hence the reason you can not now see it.

If you are at home do you have a particular reason why you use the BTWifi-Fon network and not your own wireless network that is broadcast from your Homehub.

sparksterx
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Sorry, yes its the homehub [still used to calling them modems]. I wasn't aware the the wifi-fon signal might be coming from another BT hub.  Quickly looking through my wifi settings, there is another home hub in the area.  

The reason why is I've never liked to leave the hub on 24/7.  Perhaps the timer/energy saver you can put on would help? I've just sometimes found if I don't have the hub on, I can just go online through wifi-fon. No particular reasons.

But thanks for replying back and clarifying it.  It's just slightly annoying its been fine all this time, then all of a sudden stops for no apparant reason.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

the hub works best if left conencted 24/7.  maybe whoever owns the hub has decided to stop sharing and opted out of FON.. if you leave yours conencted 24/7 then you will have a permanent home network conenction and your neighbour can use your BTWIFI/FON network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings