Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cantoris
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Wifi woes : Bt Id and App Compatability

BT Wifi looks really appealing if I can make it work. I have two problems:

1) The latest version of the BT Wifi app claims not to be compatible with my Android device, although a previous version did at least install. I tried deleting and reinstalling, so Google Play now tells me it is installed but not compatible, whereas the device thinks it is not installed at all. I can get a log-in page via a browser but then hit the second problem.

2) Because I became a BT Broadband customer after 2013, I need a primary email id to log on. But because I was already a customer for other BT products before 2013, my BT Id is not an email address. I have created a BT email address, but I cannot log on with either my (non-email) BT ID or my (non-ID) BT email.

I don't expect a quick solution, but can anyone tell me whether BT know these problems exist? How do we request to get notified when they get fixed?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Nigel.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Wifi woes : Bt Id and App Compatability

You can change your BTID to be your email address by logging onto MyBT and going into your profile. Once you have done that you should be able to use your BTID to log on.

It would help if you say what Android device and version of operating system it is using.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@cantoris wrote:

BT Wifi looks really appealing if I can make it work. I have two problems:

1) The latest version of the BT Wifi app claims not to be compatible with my Android device, although a previous version did at least install. I tried deleting and reinstalling, so Google Play now tells me it is installed but not compatible, whereas the device thinks it is not installed at all. I can get a log-in page via a browser but then hit the second problem.

2) Because I became a BT Broadband customer after 2013, I need a primary email id to log on. But because I was already a customer for other BT products before 2013, my BT Id is not an email address. I have created a BT email address, but I cannot log on with either my (non-email) BT ID or my (non-ID) BT email.

I don't expect a quick solution, but can anyone tell me whether BT know these problems exist? How do we request to get notified when they get fixed?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Nigel.

When you became a broadband customer you should have been given a Primary Email Address and password.

It is these that you use to login to BT Wi-Fi.

I assume you have not been migrated to BT Mail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@vofsanity2 wrote:

When you became a broadband customer you should have been given a Primary Email Address and password.

It is these that you use to login to BT Wi-Fi.

I assume you have not been migrated to BT Mail.

BT do not do that any more, its up to you to setup your BT ID using a btinternet.com e-mail address of your choice.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Keith,

Thank you for the correction.

I found this which others may find useful.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41199

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

I suspect that many people never bothered to use the BT issued one, and preferred to use their existing one. With the move from Yahoo, it seemed a sensible move.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
cantoris
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

BTIncompatible.PNG

This is the device, as it is known to Google Play. Android version 4.0.4

Thank you for the suggestions. That looks like the solution to this issue, but I need to weigh up some other risks before trying it. My BT Id is a long-standing one, used for telephone number, billing, payments, friends and family, answering machine and so on and by other members of my family too. I can also foresee a time when I shall want to use BT telephones but other providers broadband and email. I can afford to do without wifi for a bit but if changing my id stops our telephones working I shall be really stuck.

Nigel.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Your BTID is only a means of accessing your on line bills etc. If you change broadband providers you can either pay a monthly charge and keep your @btinternet.com email address or change your BTID username to another email address. It does not need to be a BT one in that instance.

0 Ratings