cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT app and VPN detected message, unable to access Access control

We use the Smart Hub Access Controls to restrict devices' internet access on our home network.
This is really helpful with children's devices.
Last night the BT app asked us to re-login. Now when we launch it and try to access "Your wi-fi network" it advises  VPN detected.
We don't have a VPN installed.

Looking through previous posts, I have looked to turn off the Smart Setup on the hub, but the GUI has been updated and this is no longer available 😞

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

Other posts advise it is now all managed via the app, which is confirmed when I access the GUI Advanced Settings/Access Control. The setup we implemented is there however it advises "Access controls are now managed using the app." and the Enabled toggle on the Group access schedules doesn't respond 😞

I have checked my location on my phone is the UK.

I have ensured location is an active permission for the BT app on my phone too.

@DKenVelo did you find a solution to your post?
https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/Access-Controls-not-available-via-VPN-acce...

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT app and VPN detected message, unable to access Access control

Problem is unresolved 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT app and VPN detected message, unable to access Access control

I have managed to resolve the issue.

I opened the BTapp when I was on another BT hub away from home.

It recognised that it was a different one and gave me the option to set it up, which I declined.

Then on return home I relaunched the BTapp, it requested the admin password, entered and all in and able to manage access control again, original setting, groups and times all still there.

So I believe it needed the admin password but the app wasn't able to present the option to enter it.

It would be nice to know how to prompt this if it happens again.

0 Ratings