Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spinecho
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT app iPhone 4s connection profile query

Hi first post so please be gentle!

I have just been given an iPhone 4s by my work so I can stay connected and check emails.
As I have BT Broadband I downloaded the iPhone BT WiFi app. It installed OK and I had no probems logging in.

However, the app asked me to install a connection profile, which i downloaded. The app then said that this would make changes to my settings so I didn't continue the profile install.

I contacted BT Chat helpdesk to ask them what the connection profile is but they just said I didn't need it and coudn't answer why it asked me to install it or what changes it makes.

So, forum Gurus, please can anyone tell me what the connection profile on iPhone BT Wifi actually is or what it does?
If I install it on my iPhone will it mess up my work settings e.g. Exchange mal settings etc.

Many Thanks
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT app iPhone 4s connection profile query

I had same thing when I installed on ipad mini and just let it install - never had a problem and actually shows od settings screen under profile   never had this with my android S2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
spinecho
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply but what does it do?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

does not seem to do anything but unless I installed it I could not get the app

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

i think it is a security item
0 Ratings
spinecho
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the replies, but my questions still have not been answered! If it's a security thing, then OK, but what is the connection profile actually for?!

Also, will it mess up the settings on my work iPhone?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

For a number of enterprise Wi-Fi connection types, IT administrators will deploy profiles they create with iPhone Configuration Utility to automate and/or restrict user Wi-Fi connections. Including the CA Certificate for these connections will remove the users' need to verify that they trust the Certificate(s) provided each time they reconnect to Wi-Fi. CA Certificates and Trust settings can be provided within configuration profiles. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1978
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
spinecho
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

@ray_dorset wrote:
For a number of enterprise Wi-Fi connection types, IT administrators will deploy profiles they create with iPhone Configuration Utility to automate and/or restrict user Wi-Fi connections. Including the CA Certificate for these connections will remove the users' need to verify that they trust the Certificate(s) provided each time they reconnect to Wi-Fi. CA Certificates and Trust settings can be provided within configuration profiles. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1978

Thanks....care to rephrase that in simple englidh for non-teccie luddites like me?!?

Robot wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

It just loads a certificate so you don't have to keep on saying "yes, it's ok, connect to that"

This additional certificate will not affect your existing profile so it won't mess up your works iphone.

But you don't need it if you want, you can just keep on saying "yes, it's ok, connect to that".
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
spinecho
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for the helpful explanation.

0 Ratings