cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT hotspot paid £39.00

If you are not using the bandwidth what is the problem with sharing it. If you are out and about you can use any BTWifi hotspot if you choose to do so.

If you don't want to share, then just opt out.

EDIT: Link about BTWifi and being opted in.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-check-that-i-ve-joined-the-bt-wi-fi-community-

Link how to Opt out.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

@gg30340wrote:

If you are not using the bandwidth what is the problem with sharing it.

Next time you pop out can I use your oven to cook some dinner?  😁

@gg30340wrote:

If you don't want to share, then just opt out.

Sadly I have tried but have been unsuccessful, so it is with the forum Mods to look at. In usual BT style:

1. The guide you have posted does not match the new layout for MyBT
  2. Luckily I knew where to go, but the only option I have is to opt in, not out
  3. A quick check of my Smart Hub 2 confirms my BT Wi-fi Status remains "Activated", aka opted in already, the default position
————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

@stereohaven wrote:

@gg30340wrote:

If you are not using the bandwidth what is the problem with sharing it.

Next time you pop out can I use your oven to cook some dinner?  😁

If you can access my oven from outside my house via radio waves you are more than welcome if I am not using it.

Message 14 of 21

Personally I have no issues with another BT customer using a small portion of my 160mbps if I'm not using it... D'ya know why? Because when I visit my friends that are on BT, I don't have to ask for their WiFi code and can simply log in via my BTid. This also applies in the millions of places that also have BT WiFi 🤣

Message 15 of 21

maybe as only option was to opt in then your previous attempt to opt out was successful but is can take up to 28 days (unlikely but odd times it can) for the hub to show BTWIFI opt out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 16 of 21

Sadly I have tried but have been unsuccessful, so it is with the forum Mods to look at. In usual BT style:

1. The guide you have posted does not match the new layout for MyBT
  2. Luckily I knew where to go, but the only option I have is to opt in, not out
  3. A quick check of my Smart Hub 2 confirms my BT Wi-fi Status remains "Activated", aka opted in already, the default position

The link is slightly out of date but the option to opt out is in your MyBT.

For those that for what ever reason can not work out how to get to the correct section you log onto your MyBT then go to Your Products then BTWifi (learn more) then Opt out of BTWifi

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 17 of 21

Does anyone know just how much BT Wi-Fi impacts on broadband performance? is the impact proportional to actual traffic (users) at any instant or reserved bandwidth?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

@Anonymous it doesn't. It will only share a portion of your unused bandwidth. So if you're maxing out your connection, nothing will get shared. Local traffic will always take priority over external traffic

Message 19 of 21

I feel strongly that this disconnection issue is a technical issue and not related to bandwidth. As far as I can remember, this only happens on one of my devices (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265). Of course this could be coincidence but the more it happens, the more that explanation is seeming highly unlikely. Thanks anyway for the help!

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Then download and install the Intel Driver Support tool. It will scan your system and make recommendations for updates automatically.

I have it on my home PC and it works brilliantly.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings