Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT virus protect

Go to solution

I have the BT Mcafee Virus protect on my laptop downloaded from the BT website. However I am unable to run a manual scan as when the scan for viruses shortcut button is clicked on nothing happens. The same applies to when the remove cookies and trackers button is clicked on. The only thing I can select is the speed up apps button. I have tried uninstalling the BT Mcafee app and reinstalling several times but still can not run a scan. The BT mcafee app is version 16.0(Mcafee security centre version 18.1). Does anyone have this same problem.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT virus protect

Go to solution

Hi @Barry-2mkg ,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry about the problem you're having.

There seem to be a few problems with the Antivirus provided by BT, including that it takes up a lot of resources on your computer. I would recommend switching to a free alternative, like Avast or AVG.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

downloading one of the free AV programs is good advice but if you prefer to stick with BT Virus Protect (AKA McAfee), then follow this link and download the McAfee removal tool (MCPR.exe).

The standard uninstaller leaves scraps behind which can prevent a successful re-installation, the MCPR tool removes these scraps making a successful re-instal more likely. Make sure you run the standard uninstaller before running the MCPR tool.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Albertj

I am not having much luck with Mcafee virus protect. I rang BT and they say that it should be all working and suggested that I contact Mcafee help line. I rang Mcafee help line but it is all automated and can not seem to get someone to answer. I will try again but if no joy then will uninstall Mcafee and try one of your suggested alternatives. Thank you for your help and support.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi V Meldrew

I have ran MCPR.exe after uninstalling Mcafee on the last two reinstallments but it has not ended in resolving the problems. I have contacted BT and they gave me a help number to contact Mcafee but I am finding it difficult to contact them as their answer system is all automated. I will try again on a weekday in case they are not available Sundays but do not hold out much hope. I thank you for your help. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If you're still not having any luck and you have followed the procedure on the site I linked you to then there is one last thing you could try. 

Download and install the free version of ccleaner from here, 

repeat the standard uninstall process and restart your machine,

repeat the MCPR procedure and restart your machine,

Launch ccleaner, click Registry in the LH menu, click Analyze,

Wait for the ccleaner progress bar to report 100%, then click Run Cleaner

Answer yes to backup changes to the registry,

Once cleaning has finished, restart your machine again and try installing again.

If it still doesn't work then give up and download one of the freebies or if your running windows 10 make sure Windows Defender is up to date and working.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi V Meldrew

I downloaded ccleaner and  uninstalling Mcafee and running MCPR.exe. Then on ccleaner ran registry followed by clean up registry. Reinstalled Mcafee and hooray it all works. Thank you very much for helping me out of this frustrating problem. Your method definitely works. Thanks once again. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

No problem, glad it's all sorted. You might want to leave ccleaner on your drive, it's very useful when your machine starts slowing down

0 Ratings