cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT web protect and privacy

ive just been told i now have BT web protect turned on automatically... great im now protected....

So each time i go online and visit a website BT comes in and checks the website to make sure its safe... all well and good...

but does anything else happen?

Is it tracking which websites i go to?

is it storing this info somewhere?

is it creating a profile of me based on this info?

is it selling this data to third parties to advertise and target me?

whilst i would love to believe in the benevolence of BT  - i know what happens in the real world! So id like to see a privacy policy or some assurance as to what it does when it tracks my usage.

thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT web protect and privacy

Good questions. I would add, "Will it be turn-offable?"

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@pottyperson wrote:

Good questions. I would add, "Will it be turn-offable?"

It always have been controllable via MyBT, but it was up to the user to enable it, BT are just enabling it by default.

BT and other ISPs, have always been able to see which sites you visit, and I think they may have to keep a record of it, for a period of time, but I am not sure.

Message 4 of 5

Thanks Keith, but my concern is that it remains controllable. Turning it on by default gives BT the opportunity to make it difficult to opt out à la BT Wifi.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Of course BT know what sites you visit, or at least what sites your IP address is visiting.

They will store this information and if required by a court order hand it over to the Police or other interested agency.

See link for BT's Privacy Policy.

https://www.bt.com/privacy-policy/

0 Ratings