cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cabp5
Message 1 of 5

BT wi-fi in Germany

Has anyone managed to connect to the Telekom hotspots in Germany? They are everywhere - broadcast from phone boxes in the streets as well as many other places. They claim BT Wi-Fi is a roaming partner. But when I type in my @btinternet.com address and password to the BT wi-fi page it rejects them and resets the username field to be @btopenzone.com as if that is the only form of email address it will accept.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT wi-fi in Germany

You can only get free wifi abroad with Fon/Fonera hotspots. I think the openzone log-in is for customers who buy BT Wi-Fi separately from BT broadband.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@ Cabp5, I drew a blank in both Munich and Berlin with wi fi partners like you during this month Smiley Sad

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Cabp5
Message 4 of 5

It works reliably in Brussels, but there the main telco also supports FON. There is something very confusing here - BT openzone, and BT Fon have both been renamed to BT Wi-Fi as if it is a single service, but it isn't. What we still need to know about any individual access point is  - is it FON based -  and the name change obscures that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

It is confusing. As I understand it, the generic product is BT Wi-Fi but it can be broadcast with one of several SSIDs. BTOpenzone indicates a commercial hotspot like Starbucks; BTWiFi and BTWiFi-with-FON are home hub signals. Apart from free-to-all Openzone hotspots, the service is available to two groups of customers. Those with BT Wi-Fi (including opted-in BT broadband users) have access to all points; members of Fon can only use BTWiFi-wth-FON.

Additionally, BT Wi-Fi customers can access Fon hotspots worlwide. I've never come across one in the UK but managed to connect to a weak one in Arras. I'm going to Brussels next week and might give the Belgacom service a try.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings