Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 30

BT wifi enabled by itself?

Hi there.

Sometime recently BT wifi has activated by itself on my router even though ive always been opted out and is still not enabled on My BT settings.

It works as it takes me to a buy BT wifi time page when i connect to it, although when i try my login it says its not a BT wifi enabled login due to me being opted out.

Is there some ongoing issue with the routers as i see several other posts about this recently?

I dont really want to wait 2 months trying to cycle it on then off again in account as several posts say it can take upto 28 days for each change to happen.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?

@Greg81 

A factory reset or a firmware update can cause it to become activated again.

All you can do is to opt in and then out again.

Why is BT Wifi causing a problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 30

I suspect someone near me is using the BT wifi when home as i lose around 10-20mbs speed and also end up with lag spikes when gaming online or streaming to Twitch.  this only started a few days ago when fon enabled itself again.

Im not paying for Fibre 2 for to give everyone around me fast internet access for free if they borrow someones login.

The extra wifi channels are also interfering with my wifi signal at other side of house where i cant really use wifi there now.  Using a wifi scanner the fon channels are close to the channel the normal wifi uses and moving it changes nothing. 

Its also a technical bug if this setting changes whenever it feels like and as other posts show, can be fixed straight away by support as waiting the 28 days turning it on then off again is not acceptable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 30

The extra wifi SSIDs  will be using the same channel as your main wifi and won't interfere because it is the same 'physical' wireless emission. If you are seeing BTwifi on a different channel it is not coming from your hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 30

If thats the case then i cant move to different channel to improve the drop in signal strength since fon went on, making this issue even more serious if its going to stop me getting reliable wifi through the house.

When i turn the router off theres no other wifi as 2 of the  3 other houses next to me are empty and are far from other houses.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 30

@Greg81 wrote:

When i turn the router off theres no other wifi as 2 of the  3 other houses next to me are empty and are far from other houses.

If that is the case who could be using your BTWifi signal other than the one house that is left. The BTWifi signal only travels a few tens of meters.

If you want to Opt out see this link.

You may have to opt back in then opt out again and it can take up to 28 days for the signal to be turned off.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 30

@Greg81  Is absolutely correct that the hubs are opting people in BT WiFi without intervention during the recent updates. This has never happened before and I have been a BT customer for many years and talk from experience.

There is definitely a software glitch and needs investigation.

The 28 day Opt out is also a myth in my opinion, in the past I was able to Opt out within 48 hours successfully. Also, why does it take seconds to Opt in and 28 days to Opt out, am I missing something?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

I said that "it can take up to 28 days"  not that it will take 28 days. The reason for that is that the opt out command is sent to the hub and this does not happen automatically. The request has to be received by BT then actioned. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 30

Then why was able to Opt out within 48 hours in the past and I did it many times?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 30

As i said, whenever that person is home, i start getting lag spikes and issues when streaming or gaming online.  Also since a few days ago the wifi quality through the house has dropped badly probably due to contention with channel sharing with fon.

Also taking upto 28 days to opt in, then another 28 days to opt out again is nonsense as i shouldnt have to wait that long for a fault to be fixed on BT end thats changing account settings without permission.

0 Ratings