cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
266 Views
Message 21 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?


@Greg81 wrote:

Signal issue might be channel contention as its using a seperate ssid and MAC address on the same channel, same as if another hub was using same channel.

 

No, there is only one signal. Interference is caused by more than one device emitting RF at the same frequency as another device. You can't interfere with your own signal.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
265 Views
Message 22 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?

You stated " Also if i never opted in in past then it must be some tech issue with BT.into BTWifi."  I was trying to point out to you in case you were not aware of the automatic opt in clause that you did not need to Opt in.

I will now bow out of your thread. Good luck getting your problem fixed.

 

 

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Beginner
249 Views
Message 23 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?

Thanks for help anyways 🙂

Im  heading to Argos tomorrow to get a new router and finally chop the head off this FON bs as i dont have confidence this will stay off if i manage to get through to tech and get opted out again.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
241 Views
Message 24 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?

If you have a fibre connection make sure you get a VDSLModem/Router and not just a router or an ADSL router.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
237 Views
Message 25 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?


@Greg81 wrote:

Thanks for help anyways 🙂

Im  heading to Argos tomorrow to get a new router and finally chop the head off this FON bs as i dont have confidence this will stay off if i manage to get through to tech and get opted out again.


That is a sensible solution. Argos are only offering click and collect within Sainsbury.  The most popular replacement router is the TP Link W9970  (572/8882)

This of course does not transmit BT Wifi, as its not controlled by BT.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Beginner
223 Views
Message 26 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?

Thanks. 

For some reason, the Argos in Sainsburys here is tiny but has most of the hubs for click and collect today? 

1/2 the shelf space must be taken up by them lol.

Ill also be able to set dns house wide instead of having to set it on each device which was a pain.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
212 Views
Message 27 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?


@Greg81 wrote:

Thanks. 

For some reason, the Argos in Sainsburys here is tiny but has most of the hubs for click and collect today? 

1/2 the shelf space must be taken up by them lol.

Ill also be able to set dns house wide instead of having to set it on each device which was a pain.


That particular one is very popular, as you can see by the reviews, and yes, you can specify your own DNS servers, I use OpenDNS. It also works with BT TV, if you have that as well.

The 2.4GHz wireless is actually quite good, but I needed Ethernet ports in other parts of the house, and ended up using a Tenda Nova MW3 mesh as well.

Argos do sell more expensive TP Link routers with dual band wireless. Bear in mind that none of these will work on ultrafast (G.Fast) connections.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Beginner
182 Views
Message 28 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?

Ill probably pick up the tp link ac1600 for 5Ghz as i copy large files to laptop and phone all time for work.  Will also help with game streaming to other devices in house from ps4 or main pc.

Seems to review well and bests several other routers that are 2-3x the price with antenna that look like punji pits.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
174 Views
Message 29 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?


@Greg81 wrote:

Ill probably pick up the tp link ac1600 for 5Ghz as i copy large files to laptop and phone all time for work.  Will also help with game streaming to other devices in house from ps4 or main pc.

Seems to review well and bests several other routers that are 2-3x the price with antenna that look like punji pits.


In that case it would make sense. My high speed stuff is all connected via a Netgear 1Gb Ethernet switch, so my router is only used as an Internet gateway and there is just a single 100Mb  port coming from it.

My wireless mesh is dual band, so some devices connect to that anyway.

The TP Link AC1600 is used by a number of other forum members so I think you will find it works very well.

It may be helpful to other forum members if you report back on your progress.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Beginner
124 Views
Message 30 of 30

Re: BT wifi enabled by itself?

Yes ill keep this updated on progress.  Theres issues with click and collect just now so will probs take few days to get router picked up, even though it says it was in stock in the shop.

Im mostly interested in the signal improvements as the Smart Hub has terrible raange even though it claims to be the best router any isp provides as listed on BT's site.

Will also stop that FON nonsense from randomly turning on again.

0 Ratings
Reply