cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
O_0neday
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT wifi with fon not working! Nor is BT open zone or any of the free wifi spots.

I live in a block of flats and plenty of people have BT hubs, I've always been able to connect but now it shows a yellow wifi symbol with an exclamation mark. It's been doing this for over a week and it's really frustrating because as soon as I walk down the street it'll connect. Before it tries connecting it has 2 bars sometimes 3 so I know there's a connection, I've signed in and out. Redownloaded the app and anything else I can think of. This is through my iPhone 6S but my Mum can't connect on her older iPhone or my Dad on his Samsung.

Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be great thank you!
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT wifi with fon not working! Nor is BT open zone or any of the free wifi spots.

nothing you can do about it there could be several reasons hubs have been turned off BT Wi-Fi service turned off as this service comes from BT customers hubs BT has no control over the service the only way to fix it is get your own broadband service
O_0neday
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Re: BT wifi with fon not working! Nor is BT open zone or any of the free wifi spots.

Even though there's multiple hubs it's sourcing from? I do have my own service but living in temporary accommodation I've not gotten it installed.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Several reasons for being unable to connect to someone's hub.  They may have moved it, some item of furniture may have been placed between it and you.  Electrical interference from a domestic appliance may be interfering with the signal.  Most likely the hubs are needing to be restarted, reset, whatever.  Hubs are not the most reliable pieces of kit.

Out of curiosity what service do you have that is not installed?

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

If neither you nor your parents can connect in the flats but all can elsewhere, it's got to be down to the other hubs hasn't it? It would be a hell of a coincidence if a large number have gone of at once but quite feasible if just a few. I also wondered about the uninstalled service.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
O_0neday
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

When I say a large amount of hubs I mean in the range of 10+ like I said I live in a big block of flats so can't understand why this is happening as I know full well they can't all be down. Sometimes it's a simple as I just need to go downstairs or it'll rarely connect briefly. Then go back to this yellow wifi symbol with a black exclamation mark over it. It's so annoying it's my only form of entertainment at the minute, I have no tv, laptop etc... So I'm just going mad with boredom and even more frustrated there isn't a fix.
0 Ratings
O_0neday
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

God knows the name but it's an all singing all dancing package which is installed at my Mums at the moment until I get permanent accommodation. It's fibre optic and top speed but that's all I know. I pay around £30 odd for it a month. Why does it make any difference what package I've got? I'm a BT customer and am entitled to use BT wifi except I can't lol.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 14

There's not a lot of point complaining about it.  You do not have an automatic entitlement to use someone's wifi,  you have the opportunity to do so if they wish to allow it.  For example I am a BT customer and you most certainly do not have any right of access to my bandwidth.  BT's information on the coverage merely refers to the number of hubs/accounts they have nationwide, not actually those that are enabled.  I have 3 hubs in their boxes that are no doubt included in these statistics but obviously they are not transmitting.

Why not visit your mum more and use your connection there?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

It wasn't clear that you meant a working BT broadband service elsewhere, which of course that entitles you to free BT Wifi. The issue clearly relates to this specific site. Have you tried removing all the wifi connections stored on your phone and restarting it? (You have to "forget" on Android, probably something more hip on iPhone.)

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
O_0neday
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

It does entitle me to have free BT wifi with fon or whatever you want to call it. It's a service they provide if you're a BT customer and therefore I should be able to use it. Whether it's coming from someone else's hub or a hotspot. They'd not provide that service if I wasn't entitled to it.
0 Ratings