cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pintosal
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BTOpenzone Laptop Access Problems

I can't access BTOpenzone/FON on my laptop.

When I connect to BTO/FON on my own Home Hub 3 I can get the signon page when I go to https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/home

When I try to connect to anybody else's then I get the usual Firefox Server Not Found error; similarly if I use Internet Explorer I get the Cannot Display the Webpage.

For example, yesterday I went to visit a friend who is with BT and has HH3. I connected to his BTO/FON and although I was 1 metre from his HH3 and getting 5 bars signal, I was unable to get any further than getting connection to the HH3.

When I checked the status using IPCONFIG/ALL then I could see the following:

IP Address 10.248.240.170

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248

Default Gateway 10.248.240.169

DHCP Server 10.248.240.169

DNS Server 192.168.22.22 and 192.168.22.23

This looks fairly plausible.

In the Wireless Network Connection Properties I've tried setting the IP properties both to Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically, and I've also tried entering BT DNS Servers  : 194.72.0.114 and 62.6.40.162

But I still can't seem to get connected.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Caspear
Message 2 of 13

Re: BTOpenzone Laptop Access Problems

I have had similar problems too.   Spoken to customer support, followed all their instructions and still can't get the BTopenzone sign-in page when I launch my browser (tried 2 different browsers) and out and about.  Signal says I'm connected and good 3 to 4 bars.  Tried in two different hotspots yesterday, same result.  No trouble however connecting to free wi-fi at local pub.  Also tried this morning on my own hub and logged into its BTFon network just like it's supposed to.  What is different about logging on to other hubs when out and about?  This concept is brilliant and the main reason for my signing up to BT but if I can't make it work, what's the point?

0 Ratings
WhoMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I ahve a netbook and my husband a laptop. I can't get the landing page on either. I can connect to both BTFON and BTOPENZONE but both say nointernet access. why is this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@WhoMe wrote:

I ahve a netbook and my husband a laptop. I can't get the landing page on either. I can connect to both BTFON and BTOPENZONE but both say nointernet access. why is this?

Try restarting your home hub and then try again.

0 Ratings
WhoMe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

I can attach to my homehub - it's when I am not at home I have the problem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@WhoMe wrote:
I can attach to my homehub - it's when I am not at home I have the problem

There is an issue on the home hubs, that causes it to run out of IP addressed to allocate to BTOpenzone/FON.

I believe that there are only five available for this "guest" usage, so until one of the DHCP leases expire, it cannot allocate any more.

Sometimes the home hub serving the hotspot needs restarting, this is more of a problem with the home hub 2.

I use an Android phone with the BT FON application, and very occasionally have problems connecting, where it says that logon was not successful.

If you look at what IP address has been allocated, you can sometimes get a clue as to the problem.

When I re-visit the same hotspot, the next day, it works fine.

0 Ratings
pintosal
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

As in my posting, the IP Address allocated was 10.248.240.170

This seems consistent with the DHCP address.

So, are BT going to address the issue, because FON foes not work for many users.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

It has been an ongoing issue for some time now, there was a software update which was supposed to have fixed the problem last year, but I am not sure how far that got. The new ones radiate BTOpenzone-H  SSIDS.

What is the SSID of the one you are having problems with?

The HH1s seem fine, its the HH2 and sometimes HH3 which seem to give problems.

I will try to locate the forum thread which discusses the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

0 Ratings
juel
Message 10 of 13

I also have this problem. the menu on my wi-fi file doesn't have the same as the BT access menu. I keep getting connections that need keys - e.g. a sky network and they are all security locked. i.e. no BT openzones show up although there are many available.  I even live next door to a BT exchange and I just can' t access BT wi-fi.

0 Ratings