cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BTProtect problems Uninstalling then reinstalling

For the last 4 days my Dell software keeps telling me I have to 2 versions of Mcafee running. Got fed up and looked in Task Manager, then Processes, and various Mcafee programs in the list that were duplicated hogging the CPU. Looked in Control Panel then Programs and Features and Uninstalled BTProtect which was updated surprise surprise on 16/02/2017.  

Looked on the BT site to see how i could uninstall and reinstall ( No mention of paying any extra money)

How to remove then reinstall BT NetProtect Plus | BT and deleted it and then used the other link on that page to delete anything left over. Then went to MyBT to reinstall the BTProtect which is now called BTVirusProtect and it wants me now to pay £4 a month for extra PC. The reason is I have 2 other PC's with BTProtect on them and thats the max unless £4 is payed. I am on Infinity 1 and have been for years and always have had my 3 PC's with BT/Mcafee protected. Don't see why if I have had to reinstall this software I now have to pay.  I am waiting for a callback from BT to explain this.

Sorry for the rant, has anybody else had the problem with BTProtect uninstall/reinstall then asked for a payment

Mike
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BTProtect problems Uninstalling then reinstalling

BT Infinity 1 now only gives you two licences to use BTProtect/McAfee/VirusProtect or what ever it is now being called. When you uninstalled it and tried to re-install it it has obviously triggered a licence check and it has established that you have exceeded you licence allowance for the Infinity product you are on.  

My advice and that of others on the forum would be not to to install it. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

thanks for the reply.

My first thought was to look for a free virus protection but I will wait to see what BT come up with as they are not very good for a communication companty to informing customers of changes.

My main complaint is if i had it for free why not now. All I have done is to reinstall because of the BTProtect update of the 16/02/2017. I cannot see its my problem that they have changed the goal posts and now want to charge me more. If thats the case why not charge all Infinity 1 customers with more than 2 PC's the extra £48 pounds a year. 

Mike

Mike
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

As I said, by reinstalling it you will have triggered the automatic licence check and it will show that you have already used up your allocated number of licences. 

The "goal posts" would have been changed when you renewed your contract with BT and you have just been fortunate that the automatic licence check has not picked it up before now.  Normally licence checks are carried out when ever a licenced product updates to ensure that there is a valid licence in place before it will authenticate the update.

If you presently do not have any antivirus on your computer I would strongly recommend that you do not connect to the Internet with it. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Get the licence check,  its the way its done. Why was this not mentioned  when i was offered by BT  4 months ago when they asked if i wanted to save £2 on the monthly cost of my broadband . Though in the fine print it did mention 2 PC's, I have just noticed. 

Good deal for them give £2 back then take £4 back.

Mike
0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Hi, 

i downloaded McAfee from my BT dashboard; it wouldn't work properly; 

so today I used this -

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=JgWzT9qLCVCKXTmERp9XlSehw... 

sorry it looks like a big weird link, but it goes to McAfee site; 

I donwloaded the PRE-INSTALL TOOL, scroll down the page, it is a download link in item 2; 

ran it, not even bothering to do another remove-put on of the anti-virus; BT dashboard siad it wasn't on my pc; but pc said it was etc., 

I just ran the tool anyway; and now it works great. 

Whilst running: it takes it off then puts it back on for you; so I did wonder if it would say I had to pay, but it didin't. 

Give it a try, it works really well. 

0 Ratings