Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 33

Re: BTWiFi + FON

Go to solution

Perhaps there is some form of incompatibility between the Samsung A3 and the BT WiFi app.

What happens if you login with a web browser on your phone, using the same web address as on your laptop? You may have to set your phone web browser to web view, and not mobile view?

If the phone is not even connecting to BT Wifi, then can you please delete all of the other saved BT Wifi connections, and not leave any showing, then try again. It could be that the phone has stored a corrupt profile, which is preventing a connection.

Its only the BSSID which is different for each hotspot, the SSID is of course the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
TimeLord16
Beginner
Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

The thought about incompatability has occured to me, although this is a phone that BT offered in the ast, although I did not get it from them.

Not sure how to login with web browser on phone or how to set web view. I can select a WiFi signal either by going through Settings/Connections etc. or by an app called WiFi Analyszer - both give the same result but the app reports the stages (connecting, authenticating, connected, not connected).

When I use my laptop I use "Connect to" on the Start tray then select BTWiFi with FON from the list after disconnecting from BTHub4-xxxx.

The phone is connecting to WiFi, just not to BTWiFi with FON.

I've already cleared all my saved WiFi sites (twice) with no effect. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution

If this page any help http://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/login-with-bt/connect-using-your-mobile-device.jsp

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
TimeLord16
Beginner
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution

A useful guide but I've already seen it. 

Section 4 under Android setup is the one I'm usng - I can connect to a BT WiFi signal, just NOT to a BTWiFi + FON signal

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

@TimeLord16 wrote:

A useful guide but I've already seen it. 

Section 4 under Android setup is the one I'm usng - I can connect to a BT WiFi signal, just NOT to a BTWiFi + FON signal

That sounds like an incompatibility issue. Perhaps the phone does not like the SSID format?

It may be worth asking Samsung if there is some limitation on the SSID format? If you had a spare wireless access point, you could prove this by making it transmit an open SSID in a similar format to see if it connects,

eg ABC+DEF

0 Ratings
TimeLord16
Beginner
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks for that, I'll look into it but it's a bit of a foreign language to me.

For now I'm resigned to not getting in to the FON service at home (not really needed, it was just a trial when I couldn't pick up FON elsewhwere), & keep trying for a FON service from other hubs when I find them.

Thanks for your time & ideas.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution
I use a Samsung S9+ and have no problem connecting to btwifi/fon and neither does my wife on S7edge so I would doubt incompatibility

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 33

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:
I use a Samsung S9+ and have no problem connecting to btwifi/fon and neither does my wife on S7edge so I would doubt incompatibility

Could be just the Samsung A3,  that does not like the dual format of the SSID?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 33

Go to solution

Are you able to try a different sim card which is on a different mobile provider's network in your phone then try and log onto BTWifi. This would at least rule out or in the BT sim card/network connection being the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

Could be just the Samsung A3,  that does not like the dual format of the SSID?

it could be but highly unlikely the A3 is out of step with other samsung phones all using the same app and A3 can connect to other BTWIFI/FON networks from other hubs some of which must be dual band

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings