Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TinyBiscuit
Beginner
Message 1 of 47

BTWiFi-X

Go to solution

I'm a BT Infinity 2 customer and I often make use of the free wifi services while out and about. Recently in my area I've noticed ALL the regular BTWiFi hotspots broadcast from customers homehubs are now named BTWiFi-X. In addition to this they now seem to be requiring WPA-2 to connect to the service, now requiring a logon name and password to even connect to the service.The problem is neither my laptop or android device are able to connect to this new BTWiFi-X hotspot, my login credentials are not accepted..

However, the other hotspot broadcast from the hubs has remained "BTWiFi-with-FON" and this takes you to the landing page to input your login details as normal, loggingin through this hotspot recognises my credentials and allows access to the service.

My question is- what exactly is the purpose of this new "BTWiFi-X" service, since it apparently doesn't current function correctly (at least for me) and can I expect this to remedied in the future?

0 Ratings
46 REPLIES 46
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 47

Re: BTWiFi-X

Go to solution

I have never heard of this, sounds a bit suspect to me. I would try scanning using a different device, and see if you see the same SSID.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 47

Go to solution

Hi TinyBiscuit,

The BTWifi-X is to enable devices with a unique Profile installed to login to that BTWifi hotspot without login in via the landling page or via the BTWif App.

In order to connect to a BTWifi-X hotspot you need to install the BTWifi-X certificate and profile.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 47

Go to solution

Where did you read that? I did a search and could not find anthing, you must have access to some special information Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 47

Go to solution

Hi 

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
TinyBiscuit
Beginner
Message 6 of 47

Go to solution

Thanks for the information. I looked at the broadcast information using WirelessMon and all three homehub devices near me are broadcasting the new BTWiFi-X hotspot, so it looks legit, though it does seem like there's little to no information about the change anywhere on BT's site, which is a bit odd. I'll try installing the connection profile via the app later today, presumably this means that only smart devices can use BTWiFi-X hotspots then, not PCs and laptops?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 47

Go to solution

Thanks for that. The Android version makes no mention of this, so I assume it must be an Apple feature.

I guess its to provide an SSL connection to BT Wifi, which seems a good idea.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 47

Go to solution

I also found this news article: http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid=%7B2b5f7e38-2551-47d6-9d01-21f44cb25d26...

which states  

BT can also confirm the forthcoming launch of their first ever Windows 8.1 app delivering automatic wi-fi connection to desktop, laptop and tablet devices. When in range of a BT Wi-fi hotspot, users will see if they are connected as the live tiles on the home screen will change colour to reflect status.  "

Try a Search
0 Ratings
RobocopAM
Message 9 of 47

Go to solution

After a number of unsuccessful attempts to setup Chromecast using a BT HH3 and Samsung S3 (Android v4.3) device. I finally managed it by changing the Wireless channel selection from "Smart Wireless" to the channel already selected by "Smart Wireless" and using the Wireless Key as the "Password" on the mobile app setup screen. 

I hope this helps after the hassle trying to set up a forum account, due to an already in use "Username", in order to post this reply.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 47

Go to solution

I had terrible trouble when after moving house I tried to connect my wifes computer to my home hub. After two days on the phomne to BT "help"! service i was advised that my network adapter may have failed. I purchased a BT 600 usb adapter but still no luck. After a furthe 3 days on the phone to god knows where I noticed that my connection list included BTWIFI-X. On inquiring of the agent what it was and doing a check with my android wifi analyser to confirm it was coming from MY hub I insisted that it be turned off whereupon all my connection problems disappeared. BT were aparently using my electricity without my permission (theft of services) and my bandwidth without the courtesy of informing me to create a wi-fi hotspot to sell services unavailable to me to outside users. I don1t know how other BT users feel about this but my solicitor will be contacting the police re the theft of electricity. I suggest that all bt customers contact BT and negotiate the charge the should levy BT for the use of their electricity to create a service the  sell for profit without the permission or consent of the users

No doubt this statement will not be printed on the forum or appear for long but it will be repeated other places on the web and links will be virally spread no doubt by disgruntled B.T. customers.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings