Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 47

Re: BTWiFi-X

Go to solution

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

is this not just BTWIFI app for windows 8?  that is not the same as BTWIFI-X

This suggests otherwise

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-guides/how-to-use-the-bt-wi-fi-app-11363896271683

I don't think so. No mention of BT WIFI-X on that page just BT WIFI.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 47

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

is this not just BTWIFI app for windows 8?  that is not the same as BTWIFI-X

This suggests otherwise

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-guides/how-to-use-the-bt-wi-fi-app-11363896271683

I don't think so. No mention of BT WIFI-X on that page just BT WIFI.

Have a look at the graphic in Step 2.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 47

Go to solution

see that in the pic but everything else refers to BTWIFI connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 47

Go to solution

Just typical BT incompetence, pictures and words don't match.

0 Ratings
keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 47

Re: BTWiFi-X and BTWifi-with-FONs

Go to solution

I have registered for this forum simply to enable me to correct some of the misunderstandings above about BTWifi-X and BTWiifi-with-X.

After much research and discussions with BT reps, the following appears to be true: All BT Home Hubs 2,3,4 and 5 generate wireless networks BTWifi-withFON and BTWifi-X thus establishing your property as a BT Hotspot. You can only remove this facility by opting out of BT WiFI. It then takes up to 28 days to have the facility removed. BTWifi-with-FON is insecure but you require your BT email address and its associated password to connect to it. BTWifi-X is a secure WPA2 protected network for Apple customers  who have a device using IOS and have downloaded the BT Wifi App. The username required to log in is your BT email address and its associated password completes the connection. However it would appear that if you have the BTWifi App installed, you do not need to enter username and password after initial use.

I  have written to BT asking them to put some of this advice into the relevant BT websites as even the BT Wifi website has no reference to BTWiifi-X. Watch this space!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 47

Go to solution

No misunderstandings from my point of view, that's exactly how I believed it to work.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 47

Go to solution

@keithpitt wrote:

I have registered for this forum simply to enable me to correct some of the misunderstandings above about BTWifi-X and BTWiifi-with-X.

After much research and discussions with BT reps, the following appears to be true:

All BT Home Hubs 2,3,4 and 5 generate wireless networks BTWifi-withFON and BTWifi-X thus establishing your property as a BT Hotspot.

Not true.  BT Wifi-X is not provided by HH 2 and probably HH 3.  HH 4 and HH 5 only provide this if they have the appropriate firmware.

You can only remove this facility by opting out of BT WiFI. It then takes up to 28 days to have the facility removed. BTWifi-with-FON is insecure but you require your BT email address and its associated password to connect to it.

Sometimes it is your Primary BT Email address and others it is your BT ID.

BTWifi-X is a secure WPA2 protected network for Apple customers  who have a device using IOS and have downloaded the BT Wifi App. The username required to log in is your BT email address and its associated password completes the connection.

Not true in all cases. Sometimes it is your Primary BT Email address and others it is your BT ID.

BT claim that you can use BT WiFi-X with Android devices and windows 8.1 devices but the situation is unclear.

However it would appear that if you have the BTWifi App installed, you do not need to enter username and password after initial use.

The situation is that you need to create a profile on your device using your credentials and then install a certificate. You then connect automatically without having to input your credentials

I  have written to BT asking them to put some of this advice into the relevant BT websites as even the BT Wifi website has no reference to BTWiifi-X. Watch this space!

There is more information provided by BT on their website than you describe but it is not easy to find and I agree that BT needs to do considerably better.

Why has this thread been merged. It would have been better left as free standing. The original thread is almost a year old.

keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 47

Go to solution

At last I have found someone who knows the full story. Many thanks for your corrections, I wish you could get BT to put your information into their websites such that when you browse "BTWifi-X" you get some answers. The good news is that I am no longer a BT Hotspot! BT's estimate of up to 28 days to remove BTWifi-X and BTWifi-with-FON from my Hub after opting out, was a little pessimistic - it took 21 days! 

0 Ratings
keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 47

Go to solution

The plot thickens! I have now opetd in again with a new HUB5. I can connect to BT WiFI-with-FON but not BT WiFi-X. BT tell me "BT WiFi X is for business customers only and requires a separate subscription". What is the truth please?

0 Ratings
karanved
Contributor
Message 30 of 47

Go to solution

Hi,

As far as I am aware of, BT Wifi-X is only accessible through Apple devices at the moment.

Android and Windows devices will not connect to BT Wifi X.

BT Wifi X is specially made for Apple/Mac devices...

Hope this helps!!...

0 Ratings