Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 47

Re: BTWiFi-X

Go to solution

I can login to BT WiFi-with-FON on my iPad (using the downloaded BT WiFi App) and on my MacBook but neither is allowed onto BT WiFi-X. The latest statement to me from BT is "BT WiFi-X is for business customers only and requires a separate subscription". I am not convinced this is true. Hopefully someone out  there can tell me the facts.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 47

Go to solution

@keithpitt wrote:

I can login to BT WiFi-with-FON on my iPad (using the downloaded BT WiFi App) and on my MacBook but neither is allowed onto BT WiFi-X. The latest statement to me from BT is "BT WiFi-X is for business customers only and requires a separate subscription". I am not convinced this is true. Hopefully someone out  there can tell me the facts.

I can connect to a BT WiFi-X hotspot with my iPad and I am not a business customer and do not have a separate subscription.

karanved
Contributor
Message 33 of 47

Go to solution

Hi,

As posted earlier, BT Wifi X is only for apple devices.

And haven't heard that its only for Business customer, i've seen many residential customers using BT WIFI X.

To connect to BT WIFI X from your macbook or any apple device, you don't need BT WIFI APP.

Just click on BT WIFI X in wifi settings in your device.

Once done, it'll ask for your login credentials. Just enter your MY BT / BT Mail details which you normally use to connect to any BT WIFI network. It should work.

Hope this helps!!...

0 Ratings
keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 47

Go to solution

As I suspected, BT are giving me the wrong information. I still cannot connect to BT WiFi-X despite strong signals and the correct username and password. The latest piece of "advice" from BT is that because of a delayed merger between BT Yahoo email and BT Mail email, I am in the group that have not yet merged and am still with BT Yahoo for my BT email address. As a result, the BT WiFi box does not appear on my "MyBT Extras" list and I cannot use BT WiFi even though my status is "opted in". Why do I not have much faith in this answer? Because I can log into BT WiFi-with-FON with both my iPad and Mac laptop! I am afraid I have just about given up on getting connected to BT WiFi-X and suspect that because I once opted out and had the Hotspot disabled (see my earlier post), since my change of Hub5 and opting back in, the full change to opting back in has not been completed.

How I get BT to acknowledge this I have no idea! In any case, thank you for your help, particularly "vofsanity2".

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 47

Go to solution

@karanved wrote:

Hi,

As posted earlier, BT Wifi X is only for apple devices.

And haven't heard that its only for Business customer, i've seen many residential customers using BT WIFI X.

To connect to BT WIFI X from your macbook or any apple device, you don't need BT WIFI APP.

Just click on BT WIFI X in wifi settings in your device.

Once done, it'll ask for your login credentials. Just enter your MY BT / BT Mail details which you normally use to connect to any BT WIFI network. It should work.

Hope this helps!!...

Unless things have changed recently I believe that for an iPad using IOS 8 or later you do need the BT WiFi app.

This is needed to load the Security certificate.  See the thread below for further details:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-and-Extras-from-BT/BT-WI-FI-app-IPad-IOS-8/m-p/1443795#M18532

keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 47

Go to solution

I continue to have faith in "vofsanity" rather that BT who are still giving me various reasons why I cannot connect to BTWifi-X and conflicting definitions of BTWiifi-X. They are now looking into why BT WiFi does not appear in my list of My Extras on the MyBT website. This may be why I cannot connect through the App even though it is installed on my iPad. They agree I am using the correct login details and am opted-in to BT WiFi. BT WiFi Help insist that BTWifi-X is not a network I can connect to even with the correct set-up. They refuse to accept that others can connect despite my protestations! I prefer to believe "vofsanity"! We all seem to agree that the App is not required on my Mac laptop.

0 Ratings
keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 47

Go to solution

The latest BT WiFi "advisor" now admits that I should be able to connect to BT Wifi-X with my iPad but not my Apple laptop. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the App and my iPad4 because on opening the App it fails to ask me to go through some profiling procedure. BT are "investigating". BT have now managed to restore the BT WiFi "box" to the list of MY Extras on the My BT page but it has made no difference. The saga continues.

0 Ratings
keithpitt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 47

Go to solution

At last the saga is over! Despite more incorrect information from the BT Wifi Help advisors, I found one who (a) believed me and (b) was prepared to take further advice. She came back eventually with the solution and, of course, I should have paid more attention to "vofsanity2" in his posts 27 and 35. The problem came down to "profiles" after all the other issues had been sorted by BT. What was not clear to me was the distinction between "Connection Profiles" in the BT Wifi App and "Profiles" in the MyBT website! For the benefit of others, here is what you have to do to connect an iPad to BTWiifi-X, the WPA2 secure network at a BT Hotspot; subject to any correction by "vofsanity2" who seems to be the real expert. It may also aply to an iPhone but I do not have one.

Download the BTWifi App

Open the App

Click on the 3 dots at the top right

Click on Settings

Click on Install Connection Profile 

Insert your settings

After this, and using your BT Username and associated password, you should be able to connect to a BTWifi-X secure network by going to "Settings-Wifi-available networks" and clicking on BTWifi-X if it is available.

Hope this helps others prevent my recent frustrations!  

0 Ratings
cjbrant
Message 39 of 47

Go to solution
This all worked OK until a couple of weeks ago and now the BT-Wifi-X doesn't work
BT have now told me that the -X version is for business customers and home users must use the BT-wifi with Fon option
It does seem to work with the BT Wifi app so perhaps we will have to put up with that
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 47

Go to solution

@cjbrant wrote:
This all worked OK until a couple of weeks ago and now the BT-Wifi-X doesn't work
BT have now told me that the -X version is for business customers and home users must use the BT-wifi with Fon option
It does seem to work with the BT Wifi app so perhaps we will have to put up with that

There has been a recent update to BT WiFi app. After I applied it I needed  to re install my connection profile.

It now works and I am not a business customer.

I believe you have been misinformed.

What failure are you getting when you try to use it ?

Please raise a new thread. Posting on a solved thread is not advisable but feel free to reference it in your new thread.

0 Ratings