Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NSquirrel
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BTWifi Opt-In/ Out

Using my iPad to access BT Wifi away from home I noticed that some BT wifi hotspots have padlocks, and some do not. The ones with padlock asked for login info (username or password, I forget which -and I did not try to access as I understand that Wifi app does this automatically.)

Am I correct in thinking that the padlocked BT wifi hotspots have opted out of providing general access to BT wifi and that I therefore should only be able to access those without a padlock? (If so, this suggests that someone could easily spoof a BT hotspot by making their wifi look as though it is a BT hotspot and then woe betide anyone accessing any personal/ banking info....)

TIA, Nick

(Apologies if this has been answered many times before, although I have tried to locate the answer.)

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BTWifi Opt-In/ Out

any customer who has 'opted out' will not show a BTWIFI connection

using your primary btinternet address/BTID should enable you to login to BTWIFI or BTWIFI-X

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

The padlock indicates that the connection is encrypted.  The standard BT WiFi isn't encrypted, but they have now rolled out a new encrypted system as well.

0 Ratings
NSquirrel
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thank you both for your answers.

0 Ratings
NSquirrel
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Further to my reply above, I now understand a bit more about BT Wifi as there seems to be little in the way of explanation about -or, if available, I did not find. Hence I am posting the following hopefully to help others.

1. To access BTWifi-X you need a profile/certificate, which on the iPad is gained by using the 'Install Connection Profile' in the BT Wifi App.

2. Access to BTWiFi-with-FON takes log in or user info from the iPad app.

3. Whereas I thought that the local BTWifi-X signal belonged to a neighbour, it in fact eminates from my Homehub4.

4. My Homehub 4 seems to produce 3 wifi access methods. My personal means of access, which I named to suit me along the lines of BTHub4; a BTWifi-X access and a BTWifi-with-FON access. (All 3 vanished when I turned off my HH4.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Correct on all statements.

0 Ratings