cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Broadband extenders

I have BT broadband using a BT Home Hub 4 - Type B.  This gives me WiFi in much of the house, but not all of it, so I would like to buy some kit that will extend the WiFi to the rest of the house, and perhaps even the garden.  What should I buy?  I only need WiFi for my laptop, not for any other use.  I would like something that I don't have to plug the laptop into - ie genuine WiFi, not hard-wired.  Grateful for any help you can give me.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband extenders

You could consider using BT Complete WiFi. 

Presumably, as a Home Hub 4 user, you are subscribed to a good broadband speed.

Complete WiFi gives a a relatively simple broadband extension for everyday use, not always successful for advanced handheld/mobile devices which are constantly being used “on the move” in the home on WiFi . This will involve provision of one black extension disk which is connected wirelessly. Disc must be placed carefully.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thanks! I was wondering whether one of the devices that you plug into an electric socket might work too. But the info on the BT Shop website isn’t clear as to whether they provide WiFi or whether you have to physically connect your laptop to the device. No one at the BT Shop knows either!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

The hotspot 600 powerline adaptors provide 2 Ethernet sockets and Wifi.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

For advice contact the BT Helpdesk on btconnectedhome@bt.com however for you you have a few options :
a) BT Whole Home Wi-Fi (£171.98) for 3 discs
b) BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 (£49.99)
c) BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Multi Kit (£89.98)
d) BT Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi - Three Discs ( On offer at £74.98)
As a low user I would go for option "D" or "B"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Or my option

e) BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 kit (not multi) (£49.99)

Option (b) is a very poor choice in my opinion, it will always be a compromise.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

When you are looking to "WiFi to the rest of the house, and perhaps even the garden." then (b) depends on the home and the environment, also where the HUB is located , also powerline technology is old and the products are not being replaced, you could have problems if your home wiring is old. with deal on Whole Home Mini ( 3 disc) you should get good coverage across the home and have the option to extend with more discs.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks everyone, that’s been really helpful.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Sorry folks, I have a follow-up question: does anyone know the length of the ethernet cable supplied with the BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Kit, please?

Thanks!

Richard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

No, but I imagine it will be quite short, doubt if it would be longer than 1 Metre.

0 Ratings