cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magpie03
Expert
Message 1 of 5

Bt Sport Lite / Can’t get it removed

Hello I was hoping someone could advise or maybe help on here!
My broadband has bt sport lite included and although I have never watched it and didn’t want it I was told just to leave it as it was free, I then found out I was getting charged for it now and tried numerous calls to get it removed, I didn’t even get emailed to tell me about having to now pay it. Is there anything I can do to get this removed, I spoke to someone who said they will remove it and I would have to wait 30 days but I was still charged after this and it is still showing on my account!
I don’t want to have to wait another 30 days for this and speaking on phone I’m getting told different things, I’m very happy with the broadband but just don’t want the sport.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Bt Sport Lite / Can’t get it removed

@magpie03 - I empathise, I had a similar situation.

I had BT Sport Lite for free and in Nov 2017 I received a letter from BT (as most people did) saying about price changes wef Jan 2018. Nothing in the letter regarding BT Sport Lite, let alone any price changes.

Prompted by the letter which had confusing and conflicting statements about "broadband offers" I called BT for clarity on my products and services. In the course of the conversation I was told that BT Sport Lite was changing and would no longer be free, but £3 (and not £8) from Jan 2018, and would include all channels not just BT Sport 1.

I said what would have happened had I not called up by chance and was told that I would have been charged wef Jan 2018!!

Never accepting the first answer I get from BT I called back a couple of times and got (the usual) conflicting information. Some agents were still calling it BT Sport Lite, others not. The costs also varied. A shambles. What WAS clear though was that the service was becoming chargeable and I hadn't been, and wasn't going to be, notified! No apology, no nothing.

Furious at the lack of notification and contradictory messages I complained. As a result, it was agreed that wef the price change in Jan that I would get BT Sport Lite (all channels) on 'app'  for 12 months. The word 'app'is confusing as it is accessible via the mobile app and a web browser - but hey, that's BT for you!

Despite this agreement, BT then promptly gave me all BT Sport channels straight away (in November). In January, they then turned off my BT Sport altogether! I complained again and it was 'reinstated' for 12 months, for free plus a goodwill gesture for the latest of their **bleep**-ups.

However, all is not resolved. The current issue is that they charged me in February and again in March for BT Sport Lite (but not the full amount). When I queried this they said it was a known billing issue and would be sorted out after the first month it had happened. This was nonsense as it had happened in Feb and still hadn't been rectified by March.

If it was a 'known issue' why didn't BT tell the customer? Instead they took money from me and loads of other customers without notifying them. As I write there is nothing on the bill or on the website to either explain what has happened, what is being done to fix the issue or by when. Let alone an apology.

I have got a refund now for the overcharges but suspect the issue hasn't gone away.

I've raised an official complaint as it is completely out of order for BT to KNOWINGLY take money from its customers without advising them that this was in error. If BT are naive enough to issue a deadlock letter then it will go to Ofcom, and its pretty obvious that this will be deemed a breach and that BT will pay a hefty fine given the customer-wide implications.

On your specific case @magpie03, I'd either push to get BT Sport Lite removed, or, if you can bear it, keep it and ask for it free of charge (I believe that new/renewed broadband contracts are offering it free anyway). The 30 days thing is duff info, it can be done overnight.

Make sure you get your charges reimbursed and a goodwill gesture of at least £40 for the aggravation. Good luck!

0 Ratings
magpie03
Expert
Message 3 of 5

I have managed to get it removed via chat and was told that I would be refunded the money as I never received any information about the getting charged for it.
0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

@magpie03 - just a word of caution - with BT don't always believe what you're told.

I'm sure you're on top of this, but...

Did you take a transcript of the chat?

Did you get an email advising you of a credit note to your account for a specific amount and/or can you see such a credit note via MyBT and/or has your latest bill come through showing a credit?

In these sorts of things I always try to look beyond myself and wonder how others might be affected - especially the vulnerable. It's out of order for BT to charge for a service, when there's a known error that they're responsible for, and then not advise the customer of the error, or make any obvious attempt to proactively resolve it. Shame on BT, that's a breach of consumer law.

In response to my complaint on this matter BT have sent me a deadlock letter. How naive. Boy, am I going to have fun with Ofcom, and look forward to seeing BT's resulting hefty fine.  

Having overcharged me in one month, and then told me it was "all sorted" they proceeded to do exactly the same the following month! So keep an eye on it @magpie03  !

0 Ratings
magpie03
Expert
Message 5 of 5

It was all sorted quickly and sport was removed and I have just paid my monthly bill and the money has been refunded correctly. Seemed it all went through fine.
Hope everything gets sorted for you!
0 Ratings