cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Bt WiFi hotspot

Hello

My son was clever enough to find a free hack to login to btwifi hotspot on this phone and is able to use internet in it

Is there a way to disable that ?

I can try to get the login details he is using or the MAC address of his phone 

Kind regards 

Tarek Seda
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Bt WiFi hotspot

If you want to stop using BTWifi see link

How do I opt out of BT Wi-fi? | BT Help

You will need to make sure that your house is not in range of a neighbours BTWifi or your son could just log onto that.

If the "free hack" he has found is your username and password you should obviously change your password.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

The "hack" is probably using your bt Internet password.

Maybe changing that could also stop him accessing BT WiFi. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Tarekhseda and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting about your son getting access to your WiFi. Kids today seem to be able to get around most things but @Devon_Dave  and @gg30340 advice is sound. I'd also start by changing the password and see how that goes. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thanks,

He is accessing neighbours wifi through bt wifi hotspot, we do not have broadband.

Apparently there is a login details which allow him to login. Its temperamental though as he tells me and keeps cutting out.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@tarekseda wrote:

Thanks,

He is accessing neighbours wifi through bt wifi hotspot, we do not have broadband.

Apparently there is a login details which allow him to login. Its temperamental though as he tells me and keeps cutting out.

Then he must be paying for access either by subscription or voucher.

Its also included as part of some BT and EE mobile packages.

There is a fair usage policy which can result in restrictions.

Message 7 of 8

If any of his pals have BT Broadband which means they have BTWifi and they know their parents/account holder's username and password they may/probably have shared the username and password with your son.

This will allow him to log onto any BTWifi hotspot and there is no way of stopping that other than taking his devices away from him or if he discloses to you who gave him the username and password you could approach the parent and advise them what is happening and suggest that they may want to change their password.

Depending on how far you are from the neighbour the signal can vary. 

Message 8 of 8

Talking to your child about staying safe online and applying self-control of online time is going to be far more effective and less stressful for all concerned than attempting to stop them with technology.

https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/

https://www.childnet.com/parents-and-carers/parent-and-carer-toolkit

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/talking-child-online-safety/