Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Bt Wifi, Bt Wifi- wifi with fon And Btopenzone

Go to solution

Hi, im trying to use btwifi hotspot. I can pick up btwifi, btwifi with fon and btopenzone-b which i have discovered is being sent out by a business hub.

The only one i have found i can successfully connect to is btopenzone-b though the business hub isn't showing up on my wifi list (see picture)

Shot of connections

As you can see i have a decent signal strength and decent connection to the router.

The problems i am having is that,

1. The connection keeps totally disappearing for anything up to an hour (wireless dropping not the log in page i know you have to log back in after approx an hour)

2. When trying to connect to the router i get unidentified connection i have done some poking about and found out that is is a dns resolver error.

If i disconnect and leave it over night i find that i can *normally* connect once again and log in, but this is becoming more frequent,

Being a person who works with networks  day to day  i've used kali linux to check if there is anyone else using the hotspot and there isn't so bandwidth isn't an issue. 

Additional info: Windows 7 Home Premium 2GB Ram Raylink N wireless adapter All latest drivers and updates installed also tried installing and reinstalling drivers. *using Ethernet to share connection to my none wireless laptop incase you are wondering same problem even if i turn the ICS off*

Is there anything that can be done about these issues that i have highlighted? Cause its not my end that is the problem and i cannot simply reboot the router as i would for a home conection.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Skable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Bt Wifi, Bt Wifi- wifi with fon And Btopenzone

Go to solution

Can you determine if it's a Hub5? There seems to be issues with the HH5 WiFi since a recent firmware update.

0 Ratings
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for the move i wasnt too sure where to post it.
0 Ratings
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
No way to determine that without seeing the hub for my self as all traffic from btwifi gets routed through a virtual lan to bt servers.
0 Ratings
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
No way to determine that without seeing the hub for my self as all traffic from btwifi gets routed through a virtual lan to bt servers. 😐
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

As you probably know, the BTWifi hotspots are not usually run by BT. They are generally private hotspots running from BT customers hubs

It is often the case that when you are unable/having problems connecting to BTWifi it is the hubs needing reset. This is of course down to the owner of the hub and can not be done by BT so basically there is nothing that can be done about it.

0 Ratings
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Hmm, so basically i need a wee powercut to reset the hubs in my area LOL! Is this something that could be passed onto the developer team some sort of self diagnostics that will reset the hubs when it detects an issue, or will that just cause hundreds of thousands of hubs to be resetting themselves every time they take a fliddy (tantrum)?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I don't know about you but I prefer to reset my router when I want, not when somebody else thinks it should be. Doing as you suggest just to allow the BTWifi, which is an add on, to be reset could cause problems with peoples home network set up so I don't see BT taking up your idea. 

0 Ratings
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
That is very true, Considering the fact that i used to have a home server which not only allowed me to access my home data but also managed my cctv system that could cause problems, ok well thanks for your help, so far so good it seems to have settled down for now.
0 Ratings