cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nickyf
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Bt wifi with fon option disappeared in my street

We are bt broadband customers in London with a holiday home in de 4. We have always been able to access bt wifi on our account when we are away apart from once when the neighbours were away and switched off all their electric
This week we are not getting the bt with fon option at all in our house .if we go and sit in front of their house we do get it but probably from their neighbours who are also
Bt
When I asked they said they have just switched to faster broadband and have a new router with a different name. We can see this locked router on the wifi options but does anyone know why the bt wifi with fon option has gone ? They would be happy to switch it on if there is something they can do
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt wifi with fon option disappeared in my street

They say they have "a new router with a different name".

This either means they have bought a third party router, which will not transmit the BT wifi signal.  Or the BT wifi has been disabled on the account.   Or they may have switched providers.  Not a lot you can do about it.

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Hi Nickyf

Welcome to the BT community forums.

The BT Wi-Fi next door relied on the neighbours having a BT Home Hub router of some description. It sounds like next door has either got their router switched off or have moved to a third-party router. The latter won't offer BT Wi-Fi.

One option might be to use a mobile phone as a wireless hotspot (3G/4G -> wi-fi).

The BT Wi-Fi app will also show access points in your area, which will give you wi-fi somewhere nearby, but not where you are staying.

Cheers

P.

0 Ratings
Nickyf
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Hi thanks
I am pretty sure that it's still a bt router as it shows up as bt on the closed wifi options that we see when we are looking for networks
They would be happy for us to get the signal so long as we are using
Our own bt account .is there anything they can do on their Router box to make that possible? He was a bit confused but thought they had upgraded and he has now
Downloaded the bt app to his phone which the old Router had Not Prompted
him to do .is there something he can switch on on his router then ?
0 Ratings
Nickyf
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

It's a BTHub6 which shows as locked . In the past that generated a BT wifi with fon for us to use .is there something he can switch on on his router that would generate that again?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
dombullion
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi Nickyf,

Please see following link: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11387/~/when-will-my-new-bt-hub-be-enabled-as-a-bt-wi...

This should allow the registration for BTWiFi to be recreated and the hub should then start broadcasting the BTWiFi SSID (Network Name)

Kind Regards,

Dominic. 

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

It could simply be that BTWifi-with-Fon is not currently enabled on the Hub 6 as historically there have been a number of issues with it on the Hub 6.

In the early days it was disabled, then it was enabled but seemed to cause issue with 'standard' WiFi connections and if I recall, disabled again. I no longer use the Hub 6 so can't check what the current situation is. 

0 Ratings