Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zaffy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Burying external wires in brickwork

Go to solution

I dug out the pointing in my brickwork and put the two telephone cables in and then pointed over and the job looks very neat.  Unfortunately, I now cannot get my call guardian to work properly.  Is it a coincidence or do telephone wires have to be exposed to work correctly?  My internet and phone are working okay; it is just the caller display/call guardian not working.  Thank you.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Burying external wires in brickwork

Go to solution

I would say it is just coincidence however cementing over the cables could cause you a problem in the future should there be any issues with your line.

The cables from the exchange/cabinet to your master socket are not yours. They belong to Openreach and if it is found that you have caused damage to the cables or because they can no longer be accessed if there is a problem you will be charged the cost of repair.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @zaffy It seems strange the line and broadband are OK but not the Caller Display.

Have you placed any orders recently? Try this code *#234# to check the status of the Caller Display on your line and post back to let us know what message you get.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
zaffy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for speedy reply and words of warning.

The length of cable that I hid in the brickwork is approx 4 metres in length with a 2cm covering of weak mixture sand/cement. Therefore not a big task to reverse to original state.  However, it took me a long time to make a neat job.

I have spoken to BT and they assure me there is no problem with the guardian / call minder.  Their instructions were to call *234# and listen to message.  The message said 'callers identity will be displayed please hang up'.  Which indicates no problems there. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
zaffy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for your interest.  *#234# message says : sorry the serrvice requested is not available.

But *234# says: callers identity will be displayed please hang up.                                       

0 Ratings
zaffy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Just rang *234# again.  It now says 'sorry the service requested is not available'.

15 minutes prior the same number said 'callers identity will be displayed'.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @zaffy It sounds like the Caller Display has been removed from your line. Check with the Order Chat Team and they will be able to add it back on again if it has been cancelled.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
zaffy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

BT person turned Caller Display / Call Guardian  (powered by TrueCall) on again but still not working this end.  *234# says all is okay too. Case of computer says yes phone says no.

I have now turned the facilities off.  Feel it is too annoying for my known callers to have to announce themselves each time they call. 

Might have to remove the cable from brickwork if nothing resolves. 

Thanks for your interest.

0 Ratings
zaffy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks to everybodys' sensible answers on the forum.  BT's telehone helpline is rubbish. Today the call guardian and caller display has returned confirming it had nothing to do with me tidying up my cables.  I could not understand why I could get phone calls and broadbbut not the guardian facilities and thought it must have been pure coincidence that I had hidden the cables at around the same time the call display/ guardian disappeared.

What confused me was when I rang the BT helpline they assured me everything was okay at their end and that it was probably the line itself. This was the opinion of several members of staff.  I tried to get them to explain how the problem could be the cable, either information is coming down the wire or it is not.  They wanted to make an appointment for OpenReach, and because they are the experts and were unanimous, I nearly agreed but first I asked a few people including this forum and all said it was obviously not the cable wire because if so, then no information would get through.

I have come to the conclusion that the BT helpline representatives have no practical sense.  Computer says yes/no is as far they go.

And although I found BT's helpline explanation hard to beleive, I had planned to destroy the work I had done. The public should have access to speak to practical hands on staff.  I wonder how many times OpenReach time is wasted on unrequired call outs.

Anway, will never know what the fault was, and annoyingly, I wasted a lot of time on the BT helpline.  Should have spoken to the wall instead -  no answer is better than the wrong answer.

Thanks once again.

0 Ratings