cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 29

Re: Can I get my Smart Hub to stop spewing radiation please?

Carlusha - That's a really helpful suggestion. I'll look into it. Many thanks.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 29

Re: BT Wifi-X opt out

licquorice - I was more than happy with my old hub but because it was actually impossible to switch off the shared WiFi, I requested to change to the latest version because it had the facility to do so, and for no other reason. So yeah, it may well be part and parcel of the default setup, which I was happy to agree to........ however.......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 29

The TP Link Td-W9970 router is about £40 at Argos and £33 at Amazon. The wifi can be permanently turned off.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 29

Be aware that placing the hub in a bag could cause over heating issues.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 29

@RobBrooks wrote:
licquorice - I was more than happy with my old hub but because it was actually impossible to switch off the shared WiFi, I requested to change to the latest version because it had the facility to do so, and for no other reason. So yeah, it may well be part and parcel of the default setup, which I was happy to agree to........ however.......

There is no difference in whichever hub you use in respect of turning off wifi. The turn off needs to be done at the network level as well as your hub in order to prevent you accessing the signal whilst out and about but not transmitting at home, hence it can't be turned off locally on the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 29

I was told by tech support that my old hub ( Home Hub 3.0 ) couldn't be turned off at the network level. Of course, I was able to turn off the WiFi acccess with respect to my Local Network but the RF meter confirmed that WiFi activity was still occuring. I spent quite a long time talking to tech support trying to disable WiFi completely on my old hub but eventually they conceded that it could not be done. I managed to get this done on another hub ( BT Smart Hub 6 ) and was successful after requesting this via phone from tech support.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 29

To avoid confusion when using the generic term "wifi" can we refer to the "normal" signal emit by the hub as the "wireless" signal and  BTWifi with Fon or BTWifi X by their names.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 29

For the sake of a few quid I suggest you buy the router mentioned.

ALL wifi on that device can be turned off permanently. Even if you opt out of BT wifi with Fon, it is apparent from other posters that it can be re-enabled with firmware updates to your hub and need opting out again.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 29

Fully agree with licquorice. 

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 20 of 29

Many thanks for the advice to you both.
I'll buy the hub suggested.