cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Can no longer log in to BT Wifi hotspots

I can no longer log in to BT Wifi hotspots. My username & password are not accepted. I receive this message "You must have a BT ID and be opted in to the BT Wi-fi community to use BT Wi-fi. Log in to My Profile to check your status." The ID I am using is my standard BT email address xxxxxx@btinternet.com and my password works fine on my BT Broadband connection at home. There is no problem with the credentials. I have not opted out of the BT Wifi community service & it used to work very well. Now I cannot log in to any BT Wifi hotspot of any type. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? If I look at MyBT I can see this -

BT Wi-fi

Included with your products

Get free access to more than 5 million BT Wi-fi hotspots across the UK.

I am also given the opportunity to "Opt Out" of this service. This clearly implies I am still opted in as this option would not be available if I was already opted out.  (@licquorice Don't bother replying to this question, I will not respond to your posts.)

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Can no longer log in to BT Wifi hotspots

@halfhearted wrote:

(@licquorice Don't bother replying to this question, I will not respond to your posts.)

That's a shame, I was going to offer a possible solution but I won't bother now.

Message 3 of 14

Anyone come across this problem? How did you get around it? I've noticed that sometimes when trying to connect to a BT wifi hotspot I am redirected to a blank static web page generated by Chrome called-  http://www.gstatic.com/generate_204

There are various references to this static page on the internet but I do not understand them. Here is an example -

"...''Chrome will make a cookieless request to http://www.gstatic.com/generate_204 and check the response code. If that request is redirected, Chrome will open the redirect target in a new tab on the assumption that it's a login page''..."

I've also noticed that my credentials (which are correct) are not accepted by this BT login page -

https://my.btwifi.com/selfcare/login

Can anyone else log in to the self care page?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

@halfhearted  I'm sorry I can't help with the gstatic query as I haven't encountered that before and it looks like a google issue, but I can advise that the self-care website that you're trying to access is for non-BT broadband customers who have bought BT wifi access so your BT ID won't work there. 

If you're within range of a BT wifi hotspot follow the instructions on this link ensuring to click BT Broadband to get the correct login process.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

@NeilOwrote:

"... follow the instructions on this link ensuring to click BT Broadband to get the correct login process..."

Thanks for the reply Neil. I have always used the BT Broadband log in to log in to BT Wifi hotspots. It no longer works for me. That is my problem.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

It's asking a lot but I wondered if anyone reading this thread would be prepared to go to a BT Wifi hotspot and see if they can log in? At the moment it is only me and george086 who are reporting this problem. I believe it must be much more common. I'm using Win10 64bit & Chrome but the problem was exactly the same when I tried to log on using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Chrome. Changing browsers to Brave & MS Edge made zero difference. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

@halfheartedwrote:

It's asking a lot but I wondered if anyone reading this thread would be prepared to go to a BT Wifi hotspot and see if they can log in? At the moment it is only me and george086 who are reporting this problem. I believe it must be much more common. I'm using Win10 64bit & Chrome but the problem was exactly the same when I tried to log on using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Chrome. Changing browsers to Brave & MS Edge made zero difference. Thanks in advance.

Hi @halfhearted 

I can log in and as far as I can remember it's the first time I've used BT's hotspots. I did notice however the drop down box on the left hand side of the screen, it defaults to BT wifi but I had to change it to BT Broadband.

I might be wrong but I think there's a standalone BT wifi hotspot subscription. I can see customers not changing the dropdown box because if you're trying to connect to BT wifi and it's part of you're subscription, why would you think of changing it?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@Andy005wrote:

Hi @halfhearted 

I can log in ...

Thanks for your reply. You didn't mention if you were using a laptop or a mobile with the app. I use a laptop. I've always logged in using "BT Broadband" but now I cannot. I've attached a screenshot of information regarding access to BT Wifi hotspots taken from my account, specifically from my.bt.com from the section called "Your products". It says that I have free access, but as you say it is possible for non-BT customers to pay for access at BT Wifi hotspots. I think the most likely explanation is that BT Wifi hotspots are no longer recognising me as a BT Broadband customer. I have fallen off the list somehow. Using other alternatives to "BT Broadband" from the drop-down list makes no difference. I don't think this is something I can fix on my own.free_access.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

I can access it with a phone, tablets and a laptop @halfhearted although I suspect the type of device is somewhat irrelevant. 

Message 10 of 14

I tried another couple of BT Wifi hotspots today. With these 2 I didn't even get as far as the log in page. Windows 10 said it had connected but when I opened the browser nothing happened. Same result with Chrome, Brave and MS Edge. After connecting and not getting the BT log in page I tried visiting  a few pages at random just to see what would happen. I got the "No internet" message. Trying to log in at other hot spots - Pret a Manger, Boots, Starbucks etc is no problem at all. 

0 Ratings