Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Can't add Windows Live Mail store folder, as per location below, to BT Cloud

Go to solution

I used to be able to backup my Outlook Express store folder (on XP) to have an up to date copy of my email, but for some reason I can't do this with Windows Live Mail in Windows 7.

C:\USERS\logon\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPDATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS LIVE MAIL

(where logon is the user)

When I try to do this using the Add Folder option, it doesn't calculate how much space is required or anything. I navigate to the location and click on the folder, but it simply reverts to the windows that has the <add folder> button.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks..........ebt

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can't add Windows Live Mail store folder, as per location below, to BT Cloud

Go to solution

Works for me. Are you using the export email function from the drop down list in the top left hand corner ?

Edit: WLM works differently to Outlook express.

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Can't add Windows Live Mail store folder, as per location below, to BT Cloud

Go to solution

I am not using the export function as I would need to do that each time i wanted an up to date backup, wouldn't I. I want to use the folder that WLM stores in each time I use it.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks.........

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do, could you clarify please?

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi hyes, thanks.

I wish BTCloud to upload (to my cloud) my WLM store folder. It is here -

C:\USERS\logon\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPDATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS LIVE MAIL

When I navigate to this location, after pressing the <add folder> button in BTCloud, and click on the folder (called Windows Live Mail), and I click on that folder, it does not add it to my folder back up list and hence doesn't upoad the contents.

I hope I havde made it clear, thanks for your help.

Just to let you know, I do have other folders there that BTCloud uploads for me.

......ebt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry, my fault, I missed the reference to BT Cloud in the title. I'm afraid I can't help as I don't use BT Cloud. Have you tried navigating to the folder via your user name shortcut in Explorer rather than via the full path. Windows7 does some strange things with file permissions.

Edit: Just another thought, are you trying to do it whilst WLM is open, the folder may be locked if so.

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, I have tried that also now, but it stilll ingores it !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@englishbullterrier wrote:

You can't back up pst files to BT Cloud as they are dynamic, i.e. constantly being updated.

The same will apply to the Windows Live Mail folder.

You will have to either export it to a static type of file or a zipped file.

There is a section referring to this in the BT Cloud Help. I can't find the exact link but you can do a search, or someone may post the exact link.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@englishbullterrier wrote:

You can't back up pst files to BT Cloud as they are dynamic, i.e. constantly being updated.

The same will apply to the Windows Live Mail folder.

You will have to either export it to a static type of file or a zipped file.

There is a section referring to this in the BT Cloud Help. I can't find the exact link but you can do a search, or someone may post the exact link.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=backing+up+pst+files+to+bt+cloud

The above will take you to the link....I hope.

Hope this explains the situation.

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for this information. Strange thing is, I copied the Windows Live Mail folder (as noted upthread) onto my C disk and STILL BTCloud would still not accept/upload it.

I renamed it <Backup> and it successfully uploaded it !

It just means I have to create the backup (say weekly) and allow BTCloud to do its thing !

Thanks again.............ebt Smiley Happy

0 Ratings