Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caelwo
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can't connect to wifi on iPhone

Go to solution
This has been driving me mad for months. I have BT unlimited broadband and want to use the wifi hotspots when I'm out. My iphone 3 used to do this fine, and it still connects to my home hub with no problems. However, it will not now connect to hotspots (hasn't for months). I choose the network in my wifi settings, and it ticks it, but no wifi bars appear in the top left. When I open the app, it says it can't connect. I have repeatedly tried resetting my profile and reinstalling the app, but it makes no difference.

What's going on? The same account works perfectly well on my iPad.

Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can't connect to wifi on iPhone

Go to solution

Each connection you make to BT Wifi, results in a stored wireless profile. These stored profiles can cause issues, they do on Android phones, and its probably the same for your iPhone.

There is probably a stored wireless networks screen somewhere. If you delete any "remembered" wireless profiles for BT Wifi, BT Fon, and BTOpenzone, you may find that it helps.

All you will be left with would be the current hotspot you are connecting to.

The problem seems to be that you end up will lots of stored profiles, all with the same SSID, even though the BSSIDs are different.

This would be why your iPhone used to work, when it only had a couple of profiles stored. As this has increased, you have started getting problems, as the phone cannot determine which profile to use.

Delete these old profiles, and see if it helps.

0 Ratings
caelwo
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for the tip, but no joy. I only found two (under General-Profiles) and deleted both. Same problem when I tried again. Unless there are other profiles hiding somewhere else??
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I am not familiar with the iPhone as I have Android stuff, and I have noticed the issue on my phone.

As its been suggested, can you login without the app, just using the web browser?

0 Ratings
caelwo
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Oh my god, yes!! I can't believe I hadn't tried that. I just chose the BT wifi network, opened my homepage and it worked! What's more, I then disconnected and tried to reconnect via the app, and that now works fine as well. I've no idea why it worked, but thank you SO much.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Technology does behave strangely sometimes Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7