cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monxton
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Can't get started with Smart Talk

We have Smart Talk working on one device, but cannot add a second one. 

The first device was registered using the primary BTid. In MyBT under BT SmartTalk -> Manage your service I can see that one active user, with service ID and mobile number. 

On the second device, the app is installed, and I logged in with a new BTid I just created. I get to the "Call my home phone now" page. An error message appears:

Mobile phone problem 

This mobile phone's already linked to another BT SmartTalk service.

See our online FAQ for information on using BT SmartTalk on this phone.

The mobile number associated with the new BTid has never been linked to a SmartTalk service. 

What can I do next? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't get started with Smart Talk

Did you enable allow additional signups on manage SmartTalk?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
monxton
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

It says "You have allowed new sign-ups".

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Is the new phone showing up as an entry on manage SmartTalk?

Have you attempted to register this phone before?

Did you ever have a different BT account with SmartTalk?

Although I am just a customer, I was involved in the original trials of the app, so I know what is supposed to happen.

I explained it on this post.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-from-BT/30-Sept-2016-Is-the-BT-SmartTalk-service-part-of-their-webs...

For some reason the unique  Service ID generated by your phone, is stiil linked to another SmartTalk instance. I suppose there could be a limited number of Service IDs?

You could try unistalling SmarTalk from the phone, then create a totally new BT ID for that phone, and use that to install the app again. That should generate a totally new Service ID.

I wonder did you activate the new BT ID by logging into it via the web? I seem to remember that its a requirement.

So before you try again, login to the new BT ID that you created, and see if there is an option to validate it.

Some of the procedures have changed since the trial, to improve security.

0 Ratings
monxton
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Is the new phone showing up as an entry on manage SmartTalk?

No

Have you attempted to register this phone before?

I've installed and uninstalled the SmartTalk app a few times recently, never before (as far as I recall!) At first I tried to register using the primary BTid.

Did you ever have a different BT account with SmartTalk?

No, had the same BT account for decades.

You could try unistalling SmarTalk from the phone, then create a totally new BT ID for that phone, and use that to install the app again. That should generate a totally new Service ID.

Yes, I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the SmartTalk app, with the same outcome.

The BTid I'm trying to use now is a totally new one I only created recently, after the primary one was used to register the first phone. So I haven't tried creating yet another new one (which would be linked to the same mobile number I just used), but I will if you still think it's worthwhile.

The new BTid is not associated with a BT account. Should I do that?

I wonder did you activate the new BT ID by logging into it via the web? I seem to remember that its a requirement.

So before you try again, login to the new BT ID that you created, and see if there is an option to validate it.

Yes, I have logged in to it, and responded to the validation email.

Full disclosure: I will add at this point that the device I'm having the problems with is a SIM-free android tablet. However there are at least two instances in these forums of people succesfully setting one of these up for SmartTalk, so I think it is possible to make it work.

0 Ratings