cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Can't restore my full backup to PC

I had a major crash during an enforced Win 10 update, and ended up losing all my data, so am now trying to recover all my files from BT Cloud. I can see 'all my files'and drill down to the backup of my C drive, which shows folders for Photos, Docs, Music, etc. with a size of over 300Gb, which is what I expected.

When I select a complete folder for download (e.g. Photos) a .zip file is created, but it's tiny compared with the data that's backed up. When I extract the .zip, I get all the folders expected, but they are all empty. The only files I get are those which were in the top level of Photos.

I seem to have followed the instructions given on another post on the subject of a full restore, so would welcome any suggestions on how to overcome this. Looks like I could download each file individually, but that would take a lifetime...

TIA

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't restore my full backup to PC

@Bancquowrote:

I had a major crash during an enforced Win 10 update, and ended up losing all my data, so am now trying to recover all my files from BT Cloud. I can see 'all my files'and drill down to the backup of my C drive, which shows folders for Photos, Docs, Music, etc. with a size of over 300Gb, which is what I expected.

When I select a complete folder for download (e.g. Photos) a .zip file is created, but it's tiny compared with the data that's backed up. When I extract the .zip, I get all the folders expected, but they are all empty. The only files I get are those which were in the top level of Photos.

I seem to have followed the instructions given on another post on the subject of a full restore, so would welcome any suggestions on how to overcome this. Looks like I could download each file individually, but that would take a lifetime...

TIA

In theory you should be able to set up appropriate directories in Backup Preferences, and set the direction to Download, but I can see potential pitfalls.

I suggest that Selective Download is what you need. Follow the instructions precisely (best tested on a small directory) :

Selective Download.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't restore my full backup to PC

Thanks Geoff, sorry for the late reply, but lost the laptop to another Windows update (now disabled) and had to get it repaired again. I'm not absolutely sure I understand how to get to add a folder or get into configuration, but hope it will be intuitive. I'll report back, and thanks for taking the time to reply
0 Ratings