cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 91 of 406

Re: Can't update from McAfee to Norton

Go to solution

Umm, no. In my case,  the BT Virus Protect box still only gives me the option to Manage. Click on that and it takes me to the Norton website where it says 

No subscription available

This account is not associated with an active subscription. Select Subscribe Now to purchase a subscription or sign in to a different account to install.

0 Ratings
Message 92 of 406

Go to solution

Hello Mike,

To get the Norton BT Protect on your computer/laptop you do have to use your  BT account and use the Manage button which takes you to the Norton website, but if all working properly then you will  be able to progress with getting  the  new  app.   However, I had to do this a lot of times before eventually  it worked and getting frustrated because I thought it never would happen.  So  you just have to keep trying until it does unfortunately. Then once you have succeeded  and have the Norton icon on your desktop, click on this and for the  first and once only  time you have to enter your BT Password.   Then click on Settings and you will see that Internet Security is not protected, so click on Enable all Norton Extensions and follow instructions to Add extensions.

My Message 86 first paragraph is only concerning  a mobile not a computer or laptop   going to  Settings and Apps and finding BT Protect to click on which will take you to the Welcome  etc.,   I found Google Play was not the way to go at all.  I have to  now  set up the Internet Security etc., on Norton BTP but will do this tomorrow as it is  too much hassle tonight -  my brain is foggy now with all this happening this week.

Once you have sorted and have got Norton on both your devices, then you can safely uninstall the McAfee BTP which   was not  exactly completely straightforward  as  you  can see from  the 2nd para of message 86  but would not advise doing this  until you are sure you have the Norton in place.  

I really hope this helps you in some way.  Best of luck.

0 Ratings
Message 93 of 406

Go to solution

You don't want to either it is terrible.

Couldn't open Chrome.

Have uninstalled it.  Don't like it one bit.

0 Ratings
Message 94 of 406

Go to solution

My phone updated to BT Virus Protect (Norton). I got the Server Error too. I went to the My BT page, Security area and clicked on the "Switch to Norton" option. After that the server error went away on the phone. I then managed to update three tablets too.

On the PC (if you have BT Virus Protect (McAfee) already installed). I strongly recommend going to Google and searching "MCPR tool". Select the McAfee page in the search (should be the first item). Then select method 2 on the page. Follow the instructions.

This will make sure that McAfee is completely removed from your PC.

Install BT Virus Protect (send an install email to yourself from the Android/iPhone version is the easy way to do this).

The only issue I have found is I use Firefox as my browser. It installed all the Norton extensions as you would expect, but I don't want to use the Norton Home Page so I changed it back and set New tabs to my current home page too. The Home page setting stuck, but the new tabs setting keeps reverting to the Norton Home Page when Firefox is restarted. So I removed the extension in the end!

Chris.
0 Ratings
Message 95 of 406

Go to solution

If I did not log into this Community, I think I would not known of this happening, so I am waiting until the "ordinary" customer is told to do something.  I did not know we had McAfee.  

I do observe that I seem to be getting much more spam these days - not related to anything I'm doing.  So my Spam folder is being populated more than I recalled.

0 Ratings
Message 96 of 406

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

If I did not log into this Community, I think I would not known of this happening, so I am waiting until the "ordinary" customer is told to do something.  I did not know we had McAfee.  

I do observe that I seem to be getting much more spam these days - not related to anything I'm doing.  So my Spam folder is being populated more than I recalled.

I presume that because you did not know that you "had" McAfee you will not have activated/used it at any point therefore you do not need to do anything unless you now want to use BT supplied Norton, which you can find in the same place in your MyBT as you would have found McAfee.  

In case you are not aware where that is it is in the "Your Security" section.

As regards an "ordinary customer" being told, there is a big yellow notification banner displayed when you log into your MyBT.

0 Ratings
Message 97 of 406

Go to solution

@gg30340 I've just logged into MyBT and saw the yellow band but only because I waited - it is not actually on the page - it is some kind of pop-up.  As I normally move to a specific page quite quickly that may be why I've not seen it.  I must have it as it says update rather than install.

But as an "ordinary user" I might have been puzzled.  

0 Ratings
Message 98 of 406

Go to solution

It actually says 

"BT Virus Protect and True Key password manager are now powered by Norton

To stay protected, update your software now".

Which infers to me that if you have BT Virus Protect, to stay protected you need to update your software which would obviously mean if you do not have that software there would be nothing for you to update.

You would know if you had that software installed/activated because it would be your antivirus program and show in your installed programs and it would show as activated in your MyBT. 
Message 99 of 406

Go to solution

And now the "BT Virus Protect" box seems to have disappeared from the Security page. Although the big yellow banner on the home page still tells you to go there.

I assume this is to stop everyone from trying to do something that BT knows doesn't wok - and then complaining about it. I have confidence that BT will sort this out any month now....

Message 100 of 406

Go to solution

And suddenly the BT Virus Protect box is back - it takes me to the Norton website - and it actually offers to let me download Norton anti-virus. Whoopee!

Except - it says SUBSCRIPTION STATUS : TRIAL

TRIAL, really? Did everyone who has managed to do this get the same?  I'm not updating it if Norton are going to turn round next month and say "your trial period us up"

0 Ratings