cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 281 of 406

Re: Can't update from McAfee to Norton

Go to solution

@looknomorewrote:
i have been trying for 4 days. Always get "server error try again".
Think i will go to a different internet provider. Bt isnt much good.

Things you might like to try.
1. Login in another browser.
2. If your favourite browser is running any extensions (Privacy/Ads/Spam/Annoyance). Try disabling 'em, and see if you can access the links to Norton ?POT-BT-207.gif

0 Ratings
Message 282 of 406

Go to solution

When I select the option to "Manage"  BT Virus Protect, I get the message

"The resource you are looking for has been removed, had it's name changed or is temporarily unavailable"

This has been going on for over a week now.  I have tried in Chrome, Edge and Firefox, all with the same result

0 Ratings
Message 283 of 406

Go to solution

Have tried different Browser but still no joy.  Still get server error.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 284 of 406

Go to solution

BT_faff.png

Still happening, tried on Mac and Win10.  What are BT actually doing?

0 Ratings
Message 285 of 406

Go to solution

Can I just say in defence of BT and Norton I up graded with no problems or difficulties and I am neither a teenager,  BT employee or holder of a degree in computer science. McAfee was identified by the installation process as needing to be removed but the Norton page identifies exactly how remove it. 

Installed and ran a full scan one file quarantined. Running a clean up with 1GB of duplicate and junk files identified.

0 Ratings
Message 286 of 406

Go to solution

I was able to update my own Windows 10 PC to Norton without any issue via MyBT.  

However,  I have been trying to help an elderly friend who is having the "server error".    With him logged into his account in MyBT and using the link to upgrade he gets the "Server Error" from Norton (with a screen full of meaningless characters as the error details).   I talked with BT support (via chat), they logged the issue and said someone would get back in 48 to 72 hours, so I'm waiting to see what they say.  I tried this from both Edge and Chrome, get the same error.

In the meantime I have thought of a possible workaround I may try.   As I am able to reach the server and download the software from my own PC, I could have my friend login to his MyBT account on my pc and try and download the software, saving it on an external USB drive.    Then use the USB drive to install on his PC.

For my friend, this is urgent as he didn't ever install McAfee from BT.  He didn't know it was included in his broadband and was sold McAfee separately when he purchased his PC, and it has now expired.   So he doesn't have any Virus protection at the moment.   

I'll come back and update, if I get either a resolution from BT, or if I am successful in a workaround.

0 Ratings
Message 287 of 406

Go to solution

@Redsox wrote:

For my friend, this is urgent as he didn't ever install McAfee from BT.  He didn't know it was included in his broadband and was sold McAfee separately when he purchased his PC, and it has now expired.   So he doesn't have any Virus protection at the moment.   

If your friend is using a Microsoft Windows operating system on his computer Microsoft's own pre installed antivirus program will have automatically started when it detected that there is no AV so he will be covered until such times as you install another antivirus program or just leave the Microsoft one running.

See link

Windows Security: Microsoft Defender Antivirus & More | Microsoft

Message 288 of 406

Go to solution

Hi, @may433 That error means your BT ID hasn't been updated to an email address and changing it to an email address will fix the error.

Log in on a web browser to www.bt.com/mybt then at the top of the page click 'Your details' click 'Profile' and you can edit your username on that webpage. 

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 289 of 406

Go to solution

@looknomore @Anonymous I'm sorry to see you're getting server errors when trying to download the BT Virus protect software.

I'll be happy to raise a case for further investigation with our Virus protect team and will send you both a private message in a moment so you can send your details over to the moderation team.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 290 of 406

Go to solution

Neil,

Thank you very much.  That did the trick.

John

0 Ratings