cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Cannot connect to BTwi-fi hotspot using laptop

Recently, when in a local fast-food store, I can't connect to a nearby BTwi-fi hotspot using my laptop wifi. I used to be able to, but I don't know what's changed. I can, however, connect using my phone's wifi (which shows strong signal) - then tether my laptop (USB or Bluetooth) - but this is understandably quite tedious!

Any idea why my laptop won't connect? All I get is an 'Unable to connect to this network' message! I'm running Windows 10 on an HP LAPTOP Model 15. As I said earlier, it used to work ok but I've no idea what changed (if anything) on my laptop. What setting could be wrong? Or what info/request could the BT hotspot be expecting that it's not getting?

Many thanks

Kevin

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cannot connect to BTwi-fi hotspot using laptop

Open your web browser and clear all history and cookies.

When next at the hotspot, bring up all the available networks and then click on each of the BTWifi networks and untick any that are showing "Connect Automatically".

After doing that  

1. Activate wi-fi on your device
  2. Search for wi-fi hotspots
  3. Connect to BTWi-fi or _BTWi-fi
  4. Open your internet browser
  5. Select BT Wi-Fi and enter your BTID username and password
  6. Log in with your details.

See link

Get wireless Internet | Find wi-fi hotspots | BT Wi-Fi (btwifi.co.uk)

Message 3 of 4

Many thanks for your response. I'll try it next time I'm out. Dunno if it will help, though - it seemed to fall at the first hurdle, and just gave 'Cannoy connect to this network' message when I tried to connect to the hotspot.

I'll let you know

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

The BT WiFi app used to be available in the Windows store and it worked well and automatically connected, however those who know what is best for us have removed it and even if you have it, then it no longer works. the new way is much more complicated.

BT too big to care ?

So these are the new instructions buried deep in the BT help files.

How do I connect to a BT Wi-fi hotspot with my laptop?

Switch on your laptop and make sure your laptop's wireless is also switched on. You'll need to get it to look for available wireless networks.

With a Windows computer, you usually do this by clicking on the "Networks" icon in the system tray at the bottom of the screen or going to the Networks panel in the "Control Panel". With an Apple laptop, click on the "Airport" icon at the top of the screen and a list of available networks should drop down.

Get specific connection instructions for your operating system >

You should look for wireless networks with names that include "BT Wi-fi", "Openzone" or "FON". If you see one of these, click on the name and (if necessary) click "Connect".

You'll now be connected to the BT Wi-fi hotspot.

1. Once connected, launch an internet browser (like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome)
  2. This should load the BT Wi-fi landing page automatically. If it doesn't, go to https://www.btwifi.com:8443
  3. From the BT Wi-fi landing page, select the appropriate radio button (usually BT Broadband or BT Wi-fi)
  4. Put in your username and password

Get help with BT Wi-fi usernames and passwords >

5. Click Login
0 Ratings