cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RaisedOnBruce
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Cannot upload a video file of 2gb. Is there a limit?

Hi there

Just installed BT Cloud. I am on a Mac with macOS Sierra. I have a 500gb BT Cloud allowance.

I am unable to upload video files over 500mb. If I try from the BT Cloud website, it tells me I have to use the desktop app from my Mac but there is no clear way how to do this. I have tried dragging and dropping in Finder, but this only works <500mb.

I had the utter joy of being on the phone to their call centre for 1hr 45m today without getting anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
graystreet
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Cannot upload a video file of 2gb. Is there a limit?

Welcome to the wonderful world of the new and improved BT Cloud 😛

You're right about the 500MB limit on drag and drop on the website, originally this was one of my major gripes, since then it had paled into insignificance compared the myriad of other problems.

I'm using the Windows desktop app so am not sure if the Mac one is the same but, the only way I've found to upload files of more that 500MB, is to put them into a folder, even if it's only a single file, then use the "Backup" option in the Desktop app and tell it to backup the folder with your file in it.

As I say this is on Windows, not sure about Mac.

0 Ratings
RaisedOnBruce
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Thanks Graystreet. I was playing around and noticed that as an option earlier and it is in theory a workaround.

However, that won't work for me as that requires the videos to permanently sit on my computer and be backed up. Instead, I wanted to copy approx 200gb worth of 20 years of old home videos without it using up my computer's hard drive and thus I simply want to copy them and leave them in the cloud.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RaisedOnBruce
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Could a mod please get in touch to help?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Hi @RaisedOnBruce Sorry you having a problem with the BT Cloud. Did you call the Cloud Helpdesk on 0800 500 3114?

Cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
RaisedOnBruce
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Hi John, yes they were beyond terrible, tbh.

1hr 45m on the phone and they had literally no idea about BT Cloud. I simply asked how I could UL a file of over 500mb, but they simply had no idea of the product and no idea how to do this task. I was utterly frustrated as to how technical help could have absolutely no knowledge of it. Asking to be put through to someone who knew the BT Cloud service was seemingly akin to asking how to man a flight to Mars.

Can you advise me please (with BT Cloud, that is, not Mars)?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi @RaisedOnBruce I have checked with the Cloud team and they have confirmed that in the Finder, you can right click (or click while holding down Control if using a Mac with no right click button) on the file you want upload, then select ‘BT Cloud’ from the ‘Share’ menu. This will upload the file you’ve chosen to BT Cloud.

There is no size limit to files that can be uploaded when using the BT Cloud software, but on the website there is a limit of 500mb per file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
RaisedOnBruce
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Hi @JohnC2

Not working as easily as you're suggesting. This is very similar to my original attempt, of simply dragging and dropping in Finder, from the orginal location to BT Cloud. In both ways, it tries to upload the file, but after a certain amount of data transfer, it gives up and starts again. This process goes on and on, and for one video which was about 4-5gb, I left it on overnight and it still wouldn't complete the job.

I have managed to get one file uploaded of 1.84gb, but another one of 1.95gb won't finish.

I also have Dropbox, which is a doddle. You can simply drag and drop as much as you want and even more conveniently, you can do that with folders, so you can retain a file hierarchy. If we have 500gb with BT Cloud, surely it should be that easy too?

Edit: I have noticed that this latest file seems to cut out at 1.8gb. What do you suggest from here?

2nd edit: The 1.96gb file failed at 1.82gb and now isn't interested in trying to upload again.

0 Ratings
Dode
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

"What do you suggest from here?"

Use another cloud program. This is the worst piece of Mac software I have ever come accross. The GUI is OK but after that it is just a nightmare. I couldn't upload a folder, it uploads some stuff and not others, there's no structure to it and worst of all you simply can't trust it with your stuff, and that's more important than anything. At the moment I'm using the free amount of Dropbox and for 79p a month - less than 1/4 pint of ale - I'm using iCloud 50G. They both just work!

0 Ratings
RaisedOnBruce
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Thanks @Dode.

I have 5gb of Dropbox which is always a pleasure to work with but it's another gripe I have with BT of them offering something that sounds great as a top line, but is absolutely useless to work with. 

If they promise 500gb of storage then I think they have an obligation to make sure it is a proper, working solution.

I have been so frustrated with BT and their appalling customer sevrice that I was thrilled to leave them as a business customer last week after 14 years. It gave me great pleasure to tell them I was moving to another phone and broadband supplier.

Their customer service is an utter disgrace as after 1hr 45m 2 days ago I was promised a call back from 'the next level up' "between 11:00 to 12:00" yesterday. No call at all. When I called to chase them up, I was told "Don't worry, we will definitely call you back". Reading others' experiences, this is typical. One has to wait at least 45m to get through to someone (who usually knows literally nothing) and as things stand, when my home contract is up, nothing will give me greater pleasure than to tell them I'm leaving too.

@JohnC2, I would have hoped to have had some solution from you?

0 Ratings