Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenback54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Cannot use BT WiFi app

Go to solution

In 2011 I was paying BT for line rental and had O2 broadband, that year I changed from paper billing to an online account. I set up my BT ID using one of my Gmail accounts, never any problem for the next 6 years.
In spring 2017 I switched from Sky broadband to BT Unlimited Infinity 1, again there was no problem with my existing BT ID, all the various notification emails coming through and I was always able to login to MyBT.
At some point during my Infinity application there was an invitation to set up a BT email but I never took up the offer, and as the letter said, I already had a BT ID.
The problem I have is that I've never been able to use BT WiFi, my Gmail login was not accepted, remember these details have been fine for the last 6 years to login to my BT account.
After spending hours reading posts on here, I decided to set up an XX@btinternet.com email address and use that for my BT ID. Everything went ok, the validation email came through and I swapped over to my new BT ID. I can login to my BT account and also directly to BT email. But even after a week, I still cannot get BT WiFi to accept these details either via the BT WiFi app or directly through the BT WiFi browser page.
I also use one of my Gmail accounts to collect from my various low use email accounts, when I try to set up the collection of my new XX@btinternet.com email from within the Gmail account I get the message that the login details are incorrect.
I've also tried setting up a new account in my Thunderbird email client and again I’m getting the invalid login details message.

Suggestions please.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Cannot use BT WiFi app

Go to solution

Hi @greenback54,

I'm sorry you haven't been able to use BT Wifi. I'll be able to help you with this. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
greenback54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Just a bit more info.

After reading some more of the threads on these pages, I've tried checking my BT Wifi status using the link

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do

I get "Authentication failed. Invalid username or password."

If I check BT Wi-fi status from the Basic Status page on my Smart Hub I get, "We don't recognise those details. Please try again"

Yet the details I'm using allow me to log in to MyBT account without problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

If you contact the moderators as per his post I'm sure he will get this sorted for you.

0 Ratings
greenback54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
Moderator was contacted as requested on the 24th October, not yet heard anything back.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @greenback54

Thanks for posting back and apologies for the delay getting back to you.  We are extremely busy at the moment.

I've checked our email queue and we have received your details.  You're very close to the top so it won't be long before one of the guys gets back to you to help with your issue.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @greenback54,

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me yesterday. I called you today but missed you. I've been able to get everything fixed. Can you test it for me to make sure it is? I'll try call you again later this afternoon if I don't hear back from you before then.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
greenback54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

DanielS

Thanks very much for your help and the way you have kept me informed of what has been happening behind the scenes.

I do work out in the wilds of Devon so can be difficult to contact at times, but we've managed. Smiley Happy

I can confirm that I am now able to connect to BT WiFi.

Back at home, I turned off wireless on my Smart hub, I then connected my laptop to the BT Wifi by using the login page which came up when I clicked on the relevant network, also my phone connected automatically via the BT Wifi app.

One minor thing that I haven't yet got working.

I can't find any settings that work to collect my BT email, I tried using Thunderbird and also going into my Gmail account and trying to use it's 'Fetch' service.

The last point is no great problem, as far as I'm concerned the problem is fixed and I've marked it 'Fixed'.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
0 Ratings
greenback54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

I've tried those settings and others, both imap and pop3.

I've tried using Thunderbird client on pc, gmail app and inbuilt mail app on phone and also from within my online gmail account which can be used to collect mail from other accounts using pop3.

I've not succeded in creating any acounts, the messages are all saying incorrect/invalid details.

This part is an annoyance rather than a complete disaster.

0 Ratings