cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powellj3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Chromecast with Bt WiFi / retransmit BT WiFi as micro AP

I am a BT customer with BT Broadband and hence can use BT WIFI when away from home. I have a holiday home with a strong BT WiFi signal and can use this on my iPad and smart phone. But I would like to use it on a TV app such as my Chromecast device. Unfortunately Chromecast, and many other STBs do not offer the login screen when signing on to a new wifi connection.
Is there any easy way to use Chromecast with BT WiFi?
Alternatively is there a simple means of connecting to the BT Wifi and retransmitting it as a private AP? If I could connect using some other device, then that device can manage the logon and have the advantage of keeping all other connected devices hidden behind its firewall.

Thanks

j
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Chromecast with Bt WiFi / retransmit BT WiFi as micro AP

Don't think there is any way around it, you certainly can't re-transmit the signal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

You could try this if you have a Windows 7/8 computer/laptop.

You can turn the computer into a wireless access point. Download and install Virtual Router Manager. You can then log onto BTWifi via the Windows computer and your other devices can access the Internet by going through the Virtual Router.

You can also turn the computer in an AP without the Virtual Router software if you prefer to not download software with this guide although I have found the VR software easy to use.

http://www.firewall.cx/microsoft-knowledgebase/windows-xp-7-8/968-windows-7-access-point.html

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-turn-your-windows-81-laptop-wifi-access-point

I don't think there is any way for the iPad or iPhone devices to act as AP without being connected to the Internet via 3G

0 Ratings
powellj3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I've come across the idea of using a PC with WIFI card and external WiFi AP retransmitting before. But this seems a major faff. Someone suggested that it might be possible to use the BTWIFI-X somehow. But I was hoping that there would be some sort of off the shelf solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

You don't need an external Wifi AP with the suggestion I gave. If you have a PC/Laptop that can connect wirelessly with Windows 7 or 8 you just download and install the Virtual Router program and when you open it follow the prompts to set it up.

In all it takes about 5 minutes to download and install to be up and running. It is very easy to do with "No major faff". It turns your computer into a Wireless AP.

BTWifi-X works in the same manor as BTWifi so you will not be able to anything with that which you can not do with BTWifi.

0 Ratings